back to article Italians salute Mussolini on the iPhone

An iPhone app which allows nostalgic Italians to enjoy speeches by Benito Mussolini has proved a big hit, having attracted over 6,000 downloads since it launched on 21 January. Creator Luigi Marino claims the one hundred speeches and 20 audiovisual files available via the €0.79 application are of "documentary interest", and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. sandman

It's History

Now, I really (with added emphasis) don't like Fascism, but Mussolini's speeches are of genuine historical interest. The guy can't simply be airbrushed out of history (he was machine-gunned out and hung upside down in a garage, along with his mistress Clara Petacci). Sure, some fascists will play his speeches on their phones and get a warm, fuzzy glow, but historical documents can be used or abused for all sorts of purposes. (Anyone interested in a slightly dodgy dossier?)

2. Tony Green

A control freak determined to allow as little freedom as possible

And Il Duce was quite nasty too.

3. Spiracle

Given that the iPhone is orientation aware...

... I presume that if you invert it you see him hanging from a lampost.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Wonderful

So how long before some fuckwit decides to launch an iHitler app with speeches and AV files?

5. Graham Marsden
    Coat

Is this the...

.... iLDuce?

6. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    WTF?

What a world!

You can download this cack, alright historic documentation, about a bald-headed looney-toon who looked like Alexi Sayle, yet some bloke couldn't flog his Dad's Army board-game on everyone's favourite tat-market, 'cos it had a swastika on the front!

The app-store let this through? Yet they routinely stop a little bit of page-three nudity, I think I find a fascist nutter inciting people to bump off anyone he doesn't agree with, far worse than a pair of soaped-up jubblies!

What a world, what a world!

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

The historical angle

Ahh.. so this will be the same Daily Mail that thought fascism was a jolly good idea in the 1930.

1. sandman

psst...

I think they would rather you forgot that "unfortunate" lapse in taste. Mind you, looking at the Mail it seems their ideas haven't changed that much since the 1930s.

8. ian 22
    Coat

What next?

1. Write an app featuring George W Bush's wit and wisdom

2. Wealth!

Mine's the one with the Bush-Cheney '04 campaign button.

9. Jonathan Richards 1

A tool of history ...

... my thoughts exactly. And good riddance to him.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like