back to article Internet video take-up to be driven by TVs, Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Disc players and HD TVs will drive the domestic take-up of internet video services, it has been claimed. Market watcher IMS Research has said that, worldwide, internet video device shipments will leap 78 per cent year on year during 2010. While set-top boxes, games consoles and media extenders will play a part, it'll …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Fragmented

It's a nice idea, but I think the problem is that there is a lack of standardisation and there is such fragmentation nothing is likely to be developed soon.

For example, I have recently bought a sony TV and a blu ray play. Both support some form of access to the internet (applicast for the sony and vieracast for the panasonic). Both are closed formats that I assume you need to license before applications can be developed.

I would like iplayer on one of them, but it's unlikely because I imagine the bbc has a huge queue of devices to port iplayer to, and for each one you have to go through the rigmarole of getting licenses etc (and worry about who is going to pay for it).

In the absence of standards a better approach would be for the manufacturers to publicly release enough details for people to be able to develop apps themselves. As it stands they will just frustrate people who bought these things on the basis of having some useful internet functionality and in reality getting something pretty useless.

-- Harry

2. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

78% is conservative

We are about to hit the tipping point where suddenly it will be normal in TVs and blu-rays and growth could be 300% because it comes with products being bought anyway.

The article mentions the iPlayer beta test on Freesat. Last night my Sony Freesat TV updated and was able to access the test. Page 5483 on BBCi. Worked well.

TV over the Internet is going to explode.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like