back to article Software engineer rated best job of 2010 (almost)

When it comes to stress levels, salary and sheer physical demands on your body, it doesn't get much better than being a software engineer. Well, almost. To really land on your feet - or, as it might be, on your buttocks in some plush swivel chair and a comfy office somewhere - you need to be an actuary. Yes, actuaries have …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Even Better?

So if you happen to be an Indian Software Engineer who is working in the actuary field, working in the UK (taking a UK job) and being paid in rupees in your own country (so that you pay no UK punitive tax on your earnings) you've got the cushiest of numbers then?

Paris because she's probably cushy.

2. Iggle Piggle
    Boffin

I thought better of you

Why did you go and let the cat out of the bag. Now all those school leavers will think we are onto a cushy number and want to swell our numbers when really what we need is a shortage of trained people so we can go to the boss and demand a pay rise.

Well there is nothing for it, we will have to take matters into our own hands. OK lads, everybody remember to put on the sandals and start talking about Star Trek when there are any normal people around. And if you can manage a piece of sticking plaster round the glasses that would really help. And don't forget that when ladies are around you should stare at them until they look your way and then quickly look at the ground until they are gone again. If you need a brush up on protocol then treat the IT crowd as your Bible.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Worse, worser, worsest

So , all Nuclear Plant Decontamination Technicians (165) can console themselves - they could have ended up as a Photojournalists (189) , Choreographers (181), or even, god forbid, Disk Jockeys (174).

4. AndrueC Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

No risk of injury?

What about RSI?

http://www.rsi.org.uk/

Using computers (especially mice) are a major cause. Let's be honest here - how many of my fellow software developers /don't/ get aching shoulders/back/neck? Thankfully I've never had any problems with my wrists but don't try and tell me that there's no physical risk.

Paris because she can cause wrist injuries :)

5. notatestuser
    Alert

Whoa!

Software engineering hasn't been entirely outsourced to India?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Only if you are...

a Code monkey that thinks they are a software engineer, or work for a bad company. India is good at doing the basic tasks, not at the hard stuff.

6. Pete 2 Silver badge

Seems to have missed the motivators

such as job satisfaction, feeling valued and recognised. Though maybe these are just too high up the heirarchy of needs if you're focussed on feeding yourself and not being killed by members of the public.

So far as employment prospects and job growth goes, the world of software is fine until you get to your 40s - or if you don't have the education necessary to achieve the "plush swivel chair and a comfy office".

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Hmm - strange methodology...

Well this just assessed the "best" job and the "worst" job according to someone's subjective criteria...

So they have rated outdoor, physically demanding stuff as "worse" than sat at a desk in a comfy office. But that's a subjective rating... and for some people the worst thing they can imagine is being sat at a desk in a Dilbert like "pod".

Sure you can rate jobs for how much physical effort is required, greatest earning potential etc., and seperately that would be OK.

But to then overall say that this job is "better" than another based on those just doesn't take into account the whole subjective nature of better, being an individual taste and preference.

8. Colin Critch
    Happy

Sandals going on now ( in the UK )

Sandals going on now ( in the UK ); Switching to monotone; Looking a PSU circuit routing for a laugh, oh FIRE! FIRE! FIRE!

9. Chris Miller
    Joke

An actuary

Someone who always wanted to be an accountant, but lacked the personality for the job.

10. Hermes Conran
    Joke

How do you recognise an outgoing actuary?

He looks at YOUR shoes when you talk to him!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Software engineer is good...

As long as you're not at Nexsan... who couldn't code their way out of a paper bag... (see SATABeast 3)

12. Stephen Hunt
    Gates Halo

Computer programmer

I see that although SOFTWARE ENGINEER came in at number 2, COMPUTER PROGRAMMER only comes in at number 34.

I must be wrong not buying in to the typical management line that "we'll just change your job title rather than give you any salary increase."

13. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

The best job

... is the one you want to do.

Looks to me like the survey was done by lard ars* Yank couch potatoes.

I remember waking up in the night having solved a software problem in my sleep that I had been working on for some time. i.e. you take your work home sometimes through no choice. How is that good? Probably explains the number of s./w engineers who like a drink most nights.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Finally

I found an explanation for a glass of whiskey here and there evenings, thanks :)

14. Kurgan
    Grenade

And what about stressful jobs like sytem admins?

I have not found "system administrator" in the list, but I think it should be placed somewhere around "nuclear plant decontamination technicians", because of the huge responsibility, the sleepless nights, the data loss horror stories that we sysadmin all know about.

15. Bassey

So, go on then...

What the fuck is a software engineer? I write design, write and test computer software. Does that count?

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

@Bassey

Never mind what the fuck is a software engineer - what the fuck is a roustabout? I had a vague idea but I had to look it up in a dictionary to be sure. As far as I can tell, it's a word from the 19th century.

Mind you, I can see they could be quite stressed out about their job prospects. I did a search on monster.co.uk and found not a single roustabout vacancy. Maybe they should consider retraining in some modern skills, like costermongering or lamplighting.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

@An Actuary

I thought Actruaries were people who found Accountancy too exciting

17. Graham Bartlett

@Stephen Hunt

You don't get the difference between "software engineer" and "computer programmer"? Then consider the difference between "automotive engineer" and "mechanic".

1. Oninoshiko
      Headmaster

Bad Analogy

let me fix your analogy:

Software Engineer is to Computer Programmer as Automotive Engineer is to Line Worker.

there you go!

A mechanic has little to do with the production of an automobile.

2. peyton?

SE not consistently used

I think you've actually illustrated why other types of engineers look down on the "software engineer". It's often used as a title for someone who basically just codes. It's someone justifiable, as it can be difficult to write code without giving thought to design, etc., unlike a mechanic who (depending on the mechanic) may just read off a computer code and apply a fix. Titles like "software architect" only add to the confusion of applying terms from other fields to software development.

Heck, in most places, "software engineer" is about the only type of engineer one can claim to be without a licence.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: The best job & worse, worser, worsest (totally agree, sirs)

"... is the one you want to do."

Spot on. +1 to your post.

"So , all Nuclear Plant Decontamination Technicians (165) can console themselves - they could have ended up as a Photojournalists (189) , Choreographers (181), or even, god forbid, Disk Jockeys (174)"

+1 to your post too. I'd rather be a Photojournalist (189) , Choreographer (181), or even, god forbid, Disk Jockey (174) or all three if I got paid the same money as being a Software Engineer so that could still do Software Engineering as a hobby, rather than the other way round!

This really is a pointless survey, with flawed criteria. Though I'm grateful doing a job that is paid reasonably well, is creative, is meaningful and relevant in today's society. I use some of my earnings to fund satisfying activities where my job falls short.

My only complaints are that 1) software engineering jobs tend to be in Blandsville Newton Business/Industrial Park "Campus"s 2) having to be in the same four walls every day with the same people and 3) a shortage of time for other things.

19. Mark Greenwood
    FAIL

Save us from numpties like these

"what truly helped the position of software engineer stand was the outlook on hiring"

The worst jobs are always the easiest to get.

"and for some people the worst thing they can imagine is being sat at a desk in a Dilbert like "pod""

Absolutely.

The best job is the one that makes you want to get up in the morning, not the one that seems cushy based on some half-arsed badly thought out subjective nonsense-o-meter but which destroys your sense of self-worth until all you can do is sit helplessly behind a desk wondering where your life went to.

I really hope school leavers don't read this type of shite. I did. Look what it did to me.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Isn't it funny...

...how, roughly speaking, the best jobs are the better paid ones.

Who said money can't buy happiness?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like