back to article Cameroon leapfrogs Hong Kong in malware hosting blocklist

Cameroon (.cm) web domains supplanted those in Hong Kong as most likely to harbour malware, with more than one in three (36.7 per cent) of domains registered in the West African country hosting viruses or malicious code. The .cm used by Cameroon is a common typo for .com, a factor that security firm McAfee speculates may …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Duncan Robertson 1
    Black Helicopters

Is it just me or...

is there anyone else reading this as Cameron as in David?

Because they'll be after me now... Ha ha, suckers!

2. Steve Roper
    Stop

Where's .ru in that list?

.ru (Russia) has got to be one the most malware-laden TLDs out there, given that the country's largely controlled by the RBN and the Russian Mafia.

As the IT manager for my company, I have most of the third-world TLDs blocked at the firewall for this reason, .ru, .cn, .to, .ws, .za, pretty much the whole of Africa, most of Asia and half of Eastern Europe among them. We also filter all emails originating from those domains as well. Coupled with our spam filter and AV systems, we get very little spam and almost no malware infections as a result. Most of what we do get seems to come from the Netherlands (.nl) and I'm seriously considering adding that country to our blocklist as well.

My colleague at our sister company has done the same thing since I put him up to it, and he's also noticed a massive drop in spam and 0-day malware infections as well. If more Western companies did this, the loss of business to these developing nations might induce their corruption-riddled governments to start cleaning their act up.

3. J 12

Missed the extra 'o'

I thought it said Cameron. I was looking for a Daily Mirror headline about how the Tory leader is infecting Windows

This topic is closed for new posts.