back to article Facebook goes live with privacy revamp

Facebook has revamped and simplified its privacy controls. Users of the social networking website can now designate content they post as being viewable to just friends, or friends of their friends, or everyone. "We're adding something that many of you have asked for — the ability to control who sees each individual piece of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sir Runcible Spoon
    Coat

Am I the only person left

who doesn't have a facebook profile.

I even go as far as to monitor my wife's profile so that no pictures of me are posted.

I HATE SOCIAL NETWORKING SITES.

Hmm, is this the right time to point out I have no friends?

Coat: Mine's the one with 'How to influence friends and win people' in the pocket.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

No, no you are not

I don't have a FriendFace profile either and never will.

Pint, as I'm usually drinking one when I hear about my mates Farmville addiction.

2. Gannon (J.) Dick
    Boffin

Small World !

http://oracleofbacon.org/

The chain need only extend from the backstabbing little creep who wants your job to your boss. Way to go Facebook.

3. Stephen Blake

To whom it doesn't concern...

I only want my friends to read this

4. Elmer Phud

Show or no show?

We'll see what happens -- I'd like to be able to block general crap from friends but still let what I consider important to come through. I want to see some stuff but not the crap that comes from the servers of Farmville etc. I'd also like others to be able block my crap from roller coaster wotsit and still let other stuff through.

I hate this 'all or nothing' policy that entices you to see all the nose -drippings and nail-clippings of all my 'friends'* or bugger all.

*'friends' - don't make me laugh, some people I know are not going to become 'friends'.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Good

I hardly ever use the thing, but some post-privacy settings are welcome. I have heard on more than one occasion that prospective employers look up candidates on social networking sites.

6. Bod

Re: Am I the only person left

It's time to leave Facebook when your parents get on there (and mine are in their 60s and on there) !

7. Robinson

Yes yes....

I have a MyFace profile but I didn't add any friends or family to it (and don't intend to). I just use it to spy on other people.

8. Scott 1
    Grenade

Friends and Enemies

Why can't we designate some people as "Enemy" instead of "Friend" so we've got a group to offload the farmville messages and other automated crap messages onto?

9. Steve Roper

@ Elmer Phud and Scott 1

I recently started a Facebook account solely because my parents, family and relatives are on there and it enables me to keep in touch with them. I also hated all the FarmVille, Mafia Wars, Send A Smile and all the other crap they were doing on there.

You CAN get rid of it. Next time a FarmVille notice appears on your wall, hover the mouse over it. On the right hand side of the post you'll see a button marked "Hide". Click this and you'll see a drop-down menu with a couple of hide options. Select the one that says "Hide notifications from FarmVille" or similar. Voila! You'll never see another poxy FarmVille notification again! Work through all the different game/app notifications as they appear, and you'll very soon clear your wall of all this worthless crap.

10. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    Thumb Down

I'm a PC and FriendFace was my idea...

I asked for the functionality for people to be notified when they had been deleted as a friend from my profile.

11. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Facebook goes live with privacy revamp

"Sarah Bee has deleted your sorry ass from her friends list. Perhaps it is because you endorse the opinions of Tanya Gold, or pepper her news feed with misspelled inanities, or because you were sick on her shoes that time that you've forgotten about. Or just because you're boring and pointless. Which could it be?"

That functionality would ruin everything, 'horse. You need to be able to silently boot people. It protects us all. I suppose if it were just an option it wouldn't be so bad, though.

"Sarah Bee is no longer your friend. Sucks to be you."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

Sorry for what I said about your mother

I wish people had to give a reason, at least then I'd know and wouldn't be wondering what I've done. I hate being silently booted, it's happened to me a few times and I don't know why. There is no notification that someone has removed you, so unless you have a small number of friends you don't notice until months later. By that time it doesn't seem worth getting in contact with them to find out why, and I'm reluctant to resend an invite if they removed me.

My guess is it's the last of your answers: I am boring and pointless. Though it's not exactly as if there is a limit on how many friends you can have, I don't see how my silent and never-updated Facebook profile is hurting anyone's friend list. Truth is I hate Facebook and don't want to use it, but people kept inviting me, so I joined. The only thing I've ever used it for is to accept a friend invite. In total I've spent about 20 mins on the website in the last year.

12. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Facebook goes live with privacy revamp

Hey, we've all been unfriended, and it is maddening but it's one of those things you just have to let go, bro.

13. Sordid Details
    Thumb Down

Security defaults

Regional networks wouldn't have been so bad if joining one hadn't screwed up your privacy settings. If you locked everything down to friends and then joined a network, everything reverted to Friends & Networks meaning a million (or more) people could see every little detail of your life without telling you. This is something my ex-girlfriend failed to appreciate while I continued to stalk her unseen.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like