back to article Google Phone: What's it gonna be?

Rumors of a 'Google phone' are almost as frequent as those of an Apple iTablet, but the search giant may indeed release some form of hardware platform in January. Despite blog speculation, and even 'leaked photos', of full-blown Google smartphones, it is unlikely that the company will compete with its own licensees. Instead, we …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. dave 93

be nice if I could load it onto an old iPhone

With all the first gen and a lot of 3G iPhones coming off contract, it would be neat to be able to install Android as an alternative OS. I'm not the only one either - http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/thread/c55b1a57f175c75f?pli=1

I am guessing that the hardware isn't so special, except for the Apple ROM/firmware, which you wouldn't need anyway.

Don't get me wrong, the iPhone is a cool bit of kit, but I am a bit bored with it now ;-)

2. Paul_Murphy

What about asking (potential) customers?

After all people must have some ideas on what they want their handhelds to do:

Browse web - Large touchscreen to browse, but not too large to make a phone 'brick',

listen to music - 3.5mm headphone socket,

store stuff - micro-sd card for data, music and books,

connect - wifi,

maps - AGPS,

also:

bluetooth (to handle stereo (noise-cancelling if anyone does them) headphones),

able to switch between connection systems (phone, wifi whatever) to stay connected,

Loads of apps,

I would also like to plug in my PAYG mobile broadband usb stick and use that as well - but that's probably not going to happen.

I'm sure there is more, but I'm getting bored.

ttfn

1. Il Midga di Macaroni
      Thumb Up

Additional suggestions

Fairly comprehensive list Paul. From my experiences with the G1 I'd like to add:

- USB host capabilities - it should be possible to add a dongle that provides a USB port, which would mean I could download photos from my camera to my phone without having a computer nearby. Great for travellers who don't want to rely on internet cafes or carry a laptop as well as everything else.

- USB modem function - I know lots of phones have this but apparently either the G1 or the service plan I have it on specifically prevent this

All the rest of the issues I have with the G1 can be solved with software. For instance, wouldn't it be cool to have a clock reader like the barcode reader? Just point the camera at any digital clock and bingo! The phone's time is updated with second-accuracy.

3. Andy Livingstone

Some idea what they wanr?

I like the kind that simply make phone calls. But then I'm a saddo, with no-one to show off to.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Saddo with nobody to show off to

...except for all the people on the Reg, who you're trying to show off with your snooty comment.

If you don't need a smartphone, WTF are you reading this article?

4. alex dekker 1

Remember the Motorola Droid

Not sure when this article was originally written, but you seem to have predicted 2009's Motorola Droid, for which Google engineers spent time with Motorola to develop.

5. Goat Jam
    Paris Hilton

Cool?

Or Stupid?

"Just point the camera at any digital clock and bingo! The phone's time is updated with second-accuracy."

Firstly, what makes you think that a random digital clock is accurate ? In fact, I can't even recall the last time I even saw a digital clock.

Wouldn't it be a lot smarter to, oh, I don't know, keep the handset time synced over the network?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022