back to article Nokia limits N900 shipments to pre-order customers

Nokia fans hoping to pick up one of its N900 Linux-based smartphone-cum-tablets on the high street may finally be able to do so on 4 December. An unnamed Nokia spokesperson yesterday told website NokNok that the sheer volume of advance orders the Finnish phone giant has taken for the N900 means even though the first of these …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Bloody Barclaycard

Pre-ordered my N900 a month ago.

Nokia processed the order earlier this week and Barclaycard declined the card because their anti-fraud system was tripped. The reason?

The order was placed in the UK but hte money was going abroad (To that well known scam artist "Nokia" in Finland).

Thanks to Barclaycard I had to re-order and lost the discounts on the first order I used coupons for...muppets....

2. Christian Berger

It's not a smartphone!

It's a portable workstation. Kinda the equivalent of a SGI workstation with ISDN, but with UMTS. It's not meant to be used as a phone, and certainly not meant to be compared to "smartphones".

It's a device for the sophisticated user who wants to have a root shell, and sync his data via rsync.

1. Tom Chiverton 1

rsync ?

You what ? Go look at what this thing actually looks like- it *is* a smart phone, it's *fine* for normal people.

3. Jeff Power
    Linux

I want one.

Yes, I want one. I want one with the proper radio bits to work in Canada on the new HSPA cross-Canada network not operated by Rogers.

4. Kurgan

somehow a delusion

I have just received my (italian) N900. I am quite unhappy with it. Good palmtop computer, even with some bug, but quite a failure of a phone.

No voice dial

No handsfree

No searching the contacts if not by opening the slider

Bluetooth voice connections to my Nokia hadphone always drops after some time

And then the greatest of the errors: the italian keyboard has only two directional arrow keys instead of four. You have to hit the blue "function" key to get the up and down arrows, which is RIDICULOUS for a device that has a command line interface too.

I want a better phone, and I want an US or UK keyboard! Italian keyboard layout SUCKS!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

carriers?

Is there any word on what carriers will actually stock the N900? So far the only confirmed i can find is vodafone...i'll be disappointed if orange don't do it because i'm not paying £450 for a phone.

6. Bob Dunlop
    Linux

Pre order, what pre order ?

Ordered online Saturday, arrived Wednesday. Can't say I spotted the queue.

It's a pocket computer, not a phone. If you thought you were buying a phone then you are a fool.

We have a shell prompt, now to start porting my own code to it.

7. dougalAgain

"smartphone-cum-tablets"

Is this really the right way to transfer this phrase to text?

It just seems wrong, surely if anything it should be smartphone-come-tablets.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like