back to article Offline Gmail kisses up to attachments - at last

Google has sat up and listened to users griping about the lack of an attachments feature in its offline version of Gmail by finally adding the option. Users who have Offline Gmail enabled (it’s not a default feature) will now see all their mail flowing through the outbox whether on or offline, said Google. The only thing …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Is it me being thick?

I thought gmail offered IMAP interface... That should allow anyone and their dog to use it offline as they see fit using any client out there on the market.

2. OffBeatMammal

Wow, Google are innovating again

y'know. I've had this marvellous ability to read my email offline - with attachments and *gasp* inline images - for several years now.

First it was using something called cc:Mail, then Outlook (talking to POP3, IMAP and Exchange servers all at the same time ... no opening multiple web browser tabs for that). On a Mac I have Mail or Entourage. On Linux I have Evolution (though it doesn't yet work with the latest version of Exchange)

Maybe native apps won't be the way of the future, but while gears and HTML5 etc offer some promise of a bright shiny future this does go to show they've still got a long way to go to compare in UX and capabilities.

Nice to see Gmail users entering the 20th Century

3. Sergie Kaponitovicz
    Stop

Why the fuss?

Gmail has allowed POP + SMTP access since day 1. Just set up an account in the default email client. Simples!!

4. Maryland, USA
    Thumb Up

It's about time

At work, I connect to the Web by tethering my PC to my smartphone. It's embarrassing to think you've sent the client a file, only to be asked, "Where's the attachment?" because my phone tether had disconnected. I'd rather Gmail had not sent the message at all than sent it without the attachment.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like