back to article Sony demos monster 3D TV

What better way to prove your commitment to the 3D TV market than showing off a big, massive whopping 280in 3D-capable TV? That seems to Sony’s opinion, anyway. Can't see the video? Download Flash Player from Adobe.com The electronics giant this week displayed the monster screen at Japan’s annual International Broadcast …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ben Tasker
    FAIL

Title? What title

well, provided we carry polarising spectacles with us at all times.

And there's why 3DTV is gonna struggle. The 3D glasses are inconvenient, and I assume even worse if you wear glasses.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More like 2D

Doesn't look very 3D to me.

What a load of rubbish...Can I have commenttartd of the week now?

3. Christian Berger

The picture might have been good

...but they seriously need to work on their audio. I didn't understand a single word except for WIFI-Adaptor and Metadata.

4. David Moore
    Boffin

hmmmm....

Where's a tvbgone when you need one? : )

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

reminds me of...

http://coolaggregator.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/bladerunner1.jpg

6. Paul 129
    Happy

Getting closer

So when are we going to be able to buy appropriately polarised contact lenses?

7. Spunky McPunk
    Thumb Down

bah

nobody wants 3d tv if you have to wear glasses.

8. Stuart Halliday
    Boffin

Time to get an eye upgrade

I suspect Opticians will be soon offering us polarised contact lenses soon....

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But...

Glasses-less Autostereoscopic displays have been about for ages- IIRC Sharp even sells/sold laptops with it.

As a "we're showing off" style tech demo, why the hell didn't they use the most futuristic tech?!

Also, anaglyph is red/blue glasses and don't need a special TV. Polarised glasses do, but look and work a whole lot better.

10. Charles 9

At least polarized glasses...

...are passive and don't require a source of power. They're also portable, meaning they can be used with any TV that employs the same polarization technique. Would you rather have shutter glasses that can give many people headaches?

As for autostereoscopic displays, they're HIGHLY sensitive to location, much like old LCDs. That's why they're not used in the cinema, where position cannot be assured.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

I'm Halfway There

My sunglasses are polarised :) As long as the telly is bright enough I'll be fine :P

12. TeeCee Gold badge
    Happy

If you are Hawkwind.

You can create exactly this effect using a selection of shonky old CRTs bought from junk shops mounted in a load of angle iron behind the stage. The picture montage is handled by a rats' nest of cables terminating in a box of tricks run by a harrassed bloke nursing a fierce hangover while trying to fix the vertical hold on number three again.

The 3D effects are provided by cannabis, so only those who need glasses have to wear them*. It helps here if you are playing an old cinema in St Helens with the screen rolled up, the birdshit hastily swept off the long-disused stage and where the staff have no idea what that pungent, all pervading herbal aroma in the auditorium is.

*Although it probably looked better if you didn't.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

@Paul129

Yeah would be good if you keep those round lenses straight!

How about some laser surgery?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like