back to article Boffins develop virtual reality anti-bullying game

Boffins at Warwick University* have claimed their virtual reality bullying simulator will help victims cope with the stress of being taunted. FearNot! creates a virtual school with 3D pupils that can be set to bully, look like an easy target or sit meekly in fear of attracting unwanted attention. Intelligent agents These …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

Bullies are easy to shut down.

Simply pop 'em in the mouth when they get pushy.

I have never met a bully who can handle getting hit.

When I was in school, I never got in trouble for decking a bully.

Defending one's self is more important than shuffling off in fear.

In my opinion, of course. Your mileage may vary.

2. lukewarmdog

Technology eh

Back in the day if you got bullied, your dad waited at the school gate and you had a supervised fight with your bully. Sometimes they then went and got their dad. Every now and then someone would call the police. But that was when his dad was hitting your gran and your mum was strangling his dad whilst your dad was also hitting your gran. Or something.

It should be noted it didn't require repeatedly sitting at a computer, missing class or costing el taxpayer any money. In fact you often made on the deal as it meant you didn't have to keep handing over your dinner/pocket money.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

WICKED

Me bully at school, on da bus by txt, happy slappin outside maccyd and instead of doin me homework, me practice me skills on me PC at home. Wicked.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

I, for one, welcome...

our new Bully CAL systems. It should help the less-imaginitive bully to learn new techniques and taunts.

oi scampy get on msn. I need to talk to you about stu [-]

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

teachers could actually do their jobs

I know what would stop bullying.

Teachers actually doing their fucking jobs at break times instead of looking the other way so they can have their coffee.

6. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    Stop

Develop all the software you like...

But the real way to stop bullying is to re-empower the schools to deal with them, and their parents in an adequate manner.

7. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Nonsense

Dealing with being bullied is not something that can be taught. A keyboard game is not going to help you when you have your back against a fence and the threat of a fist looking at you squarely in the eye.

There might be a beneficial group effect in the game, but bullies do not go after groups, they always go after weaker individuals (sometimes in groups, by the way).

I do not think that this game will actually have any lasting positive effect. The only good thing to do is detect the bullies and put them in treatment. Find out why they bully and correct that.

That needs a psychiatrist, not a game.

8. Tom 7

My copy

was stolen in the playground..,.

9. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge
    Pirate

Cutting to the Chase ..... with a Commanding Control Following Leading Pole Positions.

"Boffins develop virtual reality anti-bullying game

Play games, beat bullys. Virtually"

Is there a D Notice news embargo on the Register reporting Spooky Boffinry which is Virtually Beating up Reality, in the Great Game Field which Micro/Macro Manages Human Perception for Predominant Business Advantage and Lots of Money, Darling?

The Alien Sorties and Solo Skirmishes/Deep Cloud Covered Enlightening Engagements in ITs Live Operational Virtual Environments are Truly Breathtaking. ...... and XXXXStreamly Provocative Edutainment, which is Exciting and Controversially Educational.

And how very convenient that we are apparently Going to be Gifted with Lord Mandelson to Elaborate on QuITe Simply Complex and Sensitive Matters of Government Business Information ..... http://tinyurl.com/HandyMandy

Blighty Boffinry Leads by a Country Mile with ITs Magical Mystery Turing Bombe Research and Development of IntelAIgently Designed Entities into Servering AIReality Specialities ..... Services which are Truly Global Treats for DFeating Opposition and Dumb Stupid Destructive Competition.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hmm

The game aims to help victims. Then, you end with this this: "At least, any kind of software that needs repeated use in order to allow a limited respite for those with social dysfunction has to be a better alternative [...]"

Surely it's the bullies whose behaviours should be described as "social dysfunction", not the victims.

11. Elmer Phud
    WTF?

@AC 09:38

" I know what would stop bullying.

Teachers actually doing their fucking jobs at break times instead of looking the other way so they can have their coffee."

At break time the teachers are working on thier defence statements as the school bullies have claimed that the teachers touched them / shouted at them / tried to do what AC@9:38 wants

The teachers are also right to have a break from attempting to do what the parents should have been doing all along but now just hide behind the claims of thier own little bullies.

Sorry, but hanging and flogging and the birch have gone - the bullies that used them were the teachers just teaching that bull.ying and violence is how to get along in life.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Anti-Bullying

After many years of torment I found out that the Neanderthal that picked on me for about 8 years just wanted to be alone and hitting/insulting me got me to go somewhere he wasn't.

After that amount of time I was becoming desensitized and just stayed put. He started to walk away from me.

On seeing that he was going away from me; I started to follow him around ... I got hit more but it got to the point that he ran away from me if he saw me.

Turns out that his life has gone to sh*t now ... that's what friends reunited is for :)

13. ardubbleyu
    WTF?

@amanfromMars 1

Errr... yeah - whatever...

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm fairly certain I had this game on my ZX81

The graphics were better, too.

15. Geo
    Thumb Up

FACT

"know what would stop bullying.

Teachers actually doing their fucking jobs at break times instead of looking the other way so they can have their coffee."

WELL SAID!

16. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge
    Grenade

Softly Softly ...... Steal a Long March and IMPossible Lead

"Errr... yeah - whatever..." ... By ardubbleyu Posted Thursday 12th November 2009 12:00 GMT

Errr ....yeah .... I do realise that I may yet have to reach your level, ardubbleyu, and even admit to it in this tale, ....... "It is no Secret that Family Murdoch know of the Following ..." ... amanfrommars wrote: Thursday, 12 November 2009 at 11:05 am (UTC) ..... http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/has-cameron-done-a-deal-with-murdoch-1819010.html ....... which carries the above post.

And you'd be absolutely amazed at what's been done and is being done in/with/for IT, and all on the QT and in AIdDeadly Earnest Steganographic Secret, Need to Know/Feed to Know Basis. And probably also an Old Enigmatic Trick which is in ones DNA Makeup/Psychological Profile, however that would be a tad towards the theatrically speculative rather than being firmly founded in fact, although that is not to say that the notion should be discounted, for IT is all Turing Virtual Machine IntelAIgents Development ReSearch which Questions Answers for the Origin of Source....... Big Bangs and Beginnings.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Presumably that makes the remaining 74 per cent of victimisation more tolerable.

Speaking as someone who was bullied a lot, I'd have quite happily taken a 26% reduction in the grief I suffered over nothing at all.

Of course I'd have also been happy if, as Anonymous Coward Posted Thursday 12th November 2009 09:38 GMT says, the teachers didn't fuck off back to the staff room during breaks leaving the field wide open for the bullies to do what the hell they liked without being caught...

Stop: because that's what teachers should do to bullying.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like