back to article Eight charged in $9.5m payment processor hack

Eight men connected to an international crime ring have been charged with hacking into Atlanta-based bank card processor RBS WorldPay and stealing more than $9m in 12 hours. The men - from Russia, Moldova and Estonia - are accused of gaining access to the RBS computer network and retrieving payment card data as they were being …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. frank ly
    WTF?

HUH !?

How does anyone manage to be clever enough to plan this and pull the job off, then be stupid enough to be traceable?

2. Alan Esworthy
    Thumb Up

no comment

Because I am employed by (Whoop-Whoop!) a very large company (Hurrah!) in the payment processing industry, and my (Yippee!) company's policy prohibits (Ha-ha-ha!) me from commenting publicly on matters such as this, I have nothing (Chortle!) further to say.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Heh...

I'm awaiting the anti-extradition brigade's response to this - but I'm off for a pint first

4. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

See also

I was going to post a link or two but actually it's just easier to use this site's search engine to search for Worldpay. You'll need a while even to just read the summaries.

These guys have got form, big time. And I'm talking about Worldpay, not the accused.

Is this the same RBS that the British taxpayer now owns/controls? Wouldn't it be simpler and safer for all concerned to just close them down, no redundancy payments for anyone with manager or director in their job title either?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Ridiculous really

$9m out of the billions of pounds is a drop in the water. E-Crime is super lucrative ;)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/04/05/ecrime_survey/

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fragile web of trust

Over a year ago I had a card registered with Worldpay (that I wasn't using for anything else) that suddenly started to be used on an online gambling site. The card providers caught it, phoned me, and stopped the payments. They also canceled the card and issued me a new one with a different number. I have no idea if this was related to the events in this story, but it may be that flaws in the Worldpay system have been exploited by others. I have not given any card numbers to Worldpay since, which has caused problems with an unrelated service that insists on using them for payment. So I don't use that service anymore either.

7. Winkypop Silver badge
    Happy

UAT

I'm sure they were always going to return the loot.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@frank ly

Because hackers often don't bother to reckon with disk snapshots, backups, database log file shipping, logs being posted to worm media etc. etc.

9. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

put executives up on trial

it should be executives at worldpay that should also be up on trial for letting this happen.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@AC 13:32

That's right, becuase you often see the managers of banks up on tial when someone robs them.

Just think about it a bit. No system can be 100% secure, the hacking was fessed up to pretty quickly and crucually the logging and monitoring systems were good enough to get to court, and presumably, by the tone of the article, will prove good enough to secure a conviction. If there had been no logging as a financial consideration, or a cover up then the people in charge should have been in court, but that didn't happen.

This topic is closed for new posts.