back to article BT squares up to Google Voice with Ribbit Mobile

Carriers may be watching Google Voice with trepidation, especially as it goes mobile, but one unlikely telco is determined to make sure the search giant does not have it all its own way. British Telecom has extended its Ribbit internet telephony platform to cellphones (despite having no mobile network of its own) with the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

I read that as....

...Rabbit Mobile. Now there's a blast from the past...

2. leesto
    Thumb Down

In the UK?

All we need now is for one of these services to come out in the UK. Ribbit Mobile are saying soon - I wonder if that will hurry Google up.

3. tiny
    FAIL

BT Rabbit or Ribbit?

Who remember's BT Rabbit - similar concept and likely a similar fate. Someone in BT obviously with an ironic sense of humour - only one vowel difference in the name!

4. Andy ORourke
    Happy

@ I read that as....

Me too, remembering hunting for hotspots!

5. Paul Charters
    Stop

Ribbit?

The name just puts me off straight away. As a consumer I just wouldn't bother looking it up...

....but then I'm not daft enough to sign onto Google's services either.

6. Darius

Hutchinson

I thought it was Hutchinson that brought out the Rabbit?

7. Cliff

It was indeed Hutchinson

With a clever play of words on Rabbit Hutch(inson)

£5 to the first person to email in a verifiable pic of a corner shop still bearing the Rabbit ears/inverted 'R' logo...

Actually, bravo to BT for giving this a go - they're right, most VOIPy services and mobile services have terrible call quality compared with a landline, they do have the network for it.

8. Andrew Woodvine

I claim my £5

@Cliff here's the pic you're looking for http://moblog.net/view/84589/old-rabbit-window-sticker seen in the window of Meigh's, Hanley, Stoke-On-Trent. I snapped the photo a few years ago. The window sticker has sadly since been half peeled off!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like