back to article Canada laid bare on Street View

Google has extended its Street View coverage to Canada, with Banff, Calgary, Halifax, Kitchener-Waterloo, Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec City, Squamish, Toronto, Vancouver (see pic), and Whistler now exposed by the Great Satan of Mountain View's all-seeing eye. Street View view of Vancouver Those Canadian readers who fear their …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sergie Kaponitovicz
    Thumb Up

Totally changed my mind....

....yesterday, when bored and decided to play around with GoogleEarth.

Previously I had been very dubious about this venture, but after looking for

1. Where I was born

2. Where I was raised

3. Where my grandparents lived

4. Where I was a choirboy

5. Where we later moved

6. Where my wife and I created our first born

I was able to find the lot! I now think it's brilliant.

I even got a shot of what was the grocers that my mum (and I, pre-school age) would visit in Wimbledon, which is now converted into a residence.

Saved an awful lot of time and travel costs!

It turns out that nostalgia IS what it used to be.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Lovely views in Toronto...

...because Google ran around with their cameras in the middle of the garbage workers' strike this summer. Many of the public parks that were used as temporary dumps are now digitally immortalised. Just be glad Google hasn't developed smell-o-vision yet.

3. Jimmy Floyd
    Thumb Up

Lots of photos of bugger all

Street View of Nunavut. That I'd like to see.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

@El Reg

Did Google try to date your sister? You're laying it on a little thick, here, guys - and the protestations about Orwellian behavior are pretty rich from people whose home base is in the UK!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Fail on privacy.

Yeah.. the first Canadian street I look at clearly shows my parents-in-laws car in the drive, with its number plate tutlly visible, along with the exact house number.

They are gonna be SO pissed!!

6. Red Bren
    Paris Hilton

Laid bare?

Was it just me that expected some NSFW pics in an article entitled "Canada laid bare..."

7. James 55
    Pint

@David W.

"and the protestations about Orwellian behavior are pretty rich from people whose home base is in the UK!"

- That doesn't mean we like it.

8. Ivan Headache

They're still snapping London

One of their Astras followed me round ASDA in Colindale last weekend.

9. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

My privacy is ensured...

The view of my property is completely blocked by a very large white truck that happened to be slowly passing the Google Spycar as it drove past. Image after image is of the side of the truck as it drives parallel to the Google Spycar. Ha ha!

10. BonezOz
    Thumb Up

Cool

Didn't even realise that Canada had streets!

Seriously, I've been using street view down here in Oz for a year or so now and have found it an invaluable tool. It's great for trying to suss out customer houses, places to live, etc...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Farther Out Than That!

On a recent trip <a href="http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=smithers+BC&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=40.103276,74.619141&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Smithers,+Bulkley-Nechako+Regional+District,+British+Columbia&t=h&z=13">here</a> I noticed a GoogleCam driving along our Northern BC highways and byways. 700 miles north of any reasonably large urban locale. Call Google thorough.

12. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Google is taking pics in France too

Saw a Google car last week not a mile from my house.

Don't know if it passed my street, but it was heading away at the time.

13. Equitas
    Paris Hilton

Canada laid bare

"Was it just me that expected some NSFW pics in an article entitled "Canada laid bare..."

Oh come on! It's Canada we're talking about. All those hirsute amazons could hardly be described as "bare" :-)

(Paris, because she's considerably barer than the average Canadian female)

14. Equitas
    Badgers

Picture interval?

Is the interval between the pictures the same as elsewhere? The jumps between frames seem rather large.

And even if we set aside Nunavut and NWT, what's happened to Saskatchewan, Manitoba, New Brunswick, PE I and Newfloundland & Labrador? One would have thought that they would at least have had a look at the Provincial and Territorial capital cities.

However, at least it's a start. And at least I can see that Vancouver has at long last started marking the bus stops in a reasonably intelligible manner.

Is there any published timeframe for release of other areas of the UK or elsewhere?

(Badgers -- because we need to badger them to get on with the job :-) )

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like