back to article iPod nano busted for upskirting

The new camera-equipped iPod nano has opened up an entirely new target market for Apple: music-loving degenerates. Word comes from the gracefully named fuckedgaijin.com of the arrest of a man in Kobe, Japan, who used the mini media player to surreptitiously video an 18-year-old schoolgirl in a bookstore. And, no, he didn't …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iPods don't upskirt people

perverts do

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Shuffle?

Bet he was going to do the five knuckle shuffle!

Mine's the one with the ... no, let's not go there.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

iPods don't upskirt people

iPod owners do

FTFY

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

So old hat

Once saw a bloke doing this with a mirror in the middle of new york - 20 odd years ago.

It'll be watches next.

Just ban perverts rather than causing 99.99999999999% if the population even more problems.

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

just by chance

I visited this web site after reading this.....

Any one fancy a camera pen, a stick of gum with a camera etc.....

http://www.ispy-gadgets.co.uk/index.php

6. dunncha
    Paris Hilton

funarr funarrr....

oh girls. Hmmm funarr funarr. Nudge-Nudge wink wink.

Some people really need to go meet/talk to somebody from the opposite sex and learn that they don't bite and if they are really lucky they might just get to first base for less that the price of a Nano.

When I was a lad it was £0.50p and a bag of grapes!!!.

Paris obviously. No need to hide the camera with her. Funarr Funarrr

7. Shaun 7
    Jobs Horns

Want to film upskirts of School Girls?

We've got an app for that......

8. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

@AC - iPods don't

I hope you mean women or girls, not people. I'm certain I don't want to look up a Scotsman's 'skirt', or even a Greek Soldier's or a member of the Swiss Guard, or even a priest. That would be pervy indeed!

9. Paul Hates Handles

Surprise surprise

What do people think a miniature camcorder + mp3 player would be used for, anyway? :)

10. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Not new...

Only difference here is that it's with an iPod.

The Japanese have a big thing about "upskirt" shots and School Girls. But not children, more a case of late teens/early twenties wearing School Girl outfits. And CosPlay - really weird....

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

(untitled)

The upskirt views fuss seems over the top to me. Appreciate it may be an implied permission issue but, unless the school girls are running around in skirts and no underwear then the perp is seeing no more than they would by looking at the girls on the beach.

Changing rooms; well ok that's a different matter. Not sure the best way to tackle that one. Probably insistence that phones are only used outside of the changing rooms?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Life Time Fitness chain hasn't banned Nanos

According to the TwinCities.com story that this article linked to, Nanos haven't been banned by this fitness chain - in fact, it states that using them to listening to music is fine.

So why does this article say that the Nanos are now on Life Time's "list of forbidden gadgets"? Apart from shoddy reporting, I mean.

This more recent story than the one linked to - http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2009/09/22/apple-new-nano-not-banned-by-health-club-chain/ - has made it quite clear that the Nanos haven't been banned by Life Time:

"Jason Thunstrom, a spokesman for Life Time Fitness, said in an interview with Tech Trader Daily this afternoon that Life Time for several years now has had a ban on the use in locker rooms of phones and other devices that can shoot video or still images, due to the obvious potential for misuse. The company also has a policy that bars shooting video or pictures in other areas of their gyms without permission.

The company isn’t making any new policies for the Nano. They don’t want them used in locker rooms. And they don’t want you shooting video anywhere else in the clubs. But if you want to use the new Nano to listen to music while working out, no problem there. In fact, he seemed pretty upbeat about the FM tuner in the new Nanos; the Life Time clubs have banks of TV monitors with the sound off - to hear them, you need an FM radio tuner."

13. Winkypop Silver badge
    Joke

iPerv Nano?

Could be, could be?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Kobe....Pery Friendly

It's not like there is nothing else pervy to do in Kobe. It's the home of the Densha de Go Go grope train :D

15. Jamie Kitson

Re: So old hat

> Once saw a bloke doing this with a mirror in the middle of new york - 20 odd years ago.

There is a shop in Brighton that sells walking sticks with wing mirrors towards the bottom, so to speak.

> It'll be watches next.

erm, crawling about on the floor to get the right angle might make it a bit obvious.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ban it

just ban it

17. Fab De Marco
    Thumb Down

Err, how is this news?!

Mobile devices have been equipped with cameras for years! and I am sure people have used said cameras for upskirt shots as soon as they were conceived.

Just because the new iPod nano was used I fail to see that this is news, I mean it's nothing to get an iRection about!

The more pressing issue I find with the iPod nano is the way it is advertised. With the perfect video shown on the advert and the text at the bottom saying "video enhanced"

Apple continue to advertise their products in a way that will not reflect the end user experience. Rubbish!!!!

18. Frumious Bandersnatch

"man in the crowd ...

with the multi-coloured mirrors on his hob-nail boots". Now where have I heard that one before?

It was also interesting to note talk of banning such devices from locker rooms. Didn't El Reg have a locker-room snap in its review of the new Nano?

19. Bilgepipe

@Fab De Marco

"Apple continue to advertise their products in a way that will not reflect the end user experience."

And so does every other product advertisement under the sun.

20. Jon Robinson
    FAIL

i(don't)spy-gadgets

ispy-gadgets servers seems to have crashed under the influence of far too many hits - from El reg readers perhaps?

21. Fab De Marco

Bilgepipe

Hmmm.... Can't think of any examples off the top of my head. But Car driving on a raod. Yep that will be what I look like when driving. Can of Soup... Yep It will look like that when I Cook it.

M&S Food... OK I probably couldn't cook it right but if you could cook teh food to perfection you can do you own reverse pan from the plate to get the effect of the advert.

But if you look at the technology world, very few people will give demos in TV adverts. Why? Because in reality the tech works slow and frame rate will appear poor.

Apple get around this by adding comments like "video enhanced", " Not in real Time" and "Speed does not reflect user experience".

This is why you will never see a game load in Windows on a TV advert.

Mostly TV demos are acurate. Apple are exempt from this.

22. J 3
    Happy

Gaijin?

I'm afraid to go to that site right now, maybe later...

But why is the foreigner fucked? Worries me, since I have gaijin cousins living in Nihon...

23. Equitas

Things looking up?

What exactly he expected to see is an interesting question -- it seems a great deal of trouble for nothing worth looking at.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like