back to article Newton designer returns to Apple

One of the men directly responsible for Apple's ill-fated Newton Message Pad has been rehired by Apple. According to a blog post from The New York Times, Michael Tchao has rejoined the Cupertinians as VP of product marketing, reporting directly to the SVP for worldwide product marketing, Phil Schiller. The timing of the hire …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ralph B
    Joke

Egg freckles?

Let me save you several seconds in Google:

- http://www.doonesbury.com/strip/retro/timeline/90s/930827.html

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Love the melodramatics

"Tchao's Cupertino role is about to begin its Act Two."

Awesome, more of this stuff please!

3. TeeCee Gold badge
    Joke

Risky, taking that job.

It's just possible that St. Steve was reminded of the Newton fiasco recently and decided that firing him once just wasn't enough......

4. Toastan Buttar
    Joke

Old joke alert !

How many Apple Newton users does it take to change a lightbulb ?

Foux! There to eat lemons, axe gravy soup.

5. richard 69
    Jobs Halo

the return of newton

i've said all along that the tablet will be presented as the return of newton, let's see january 2010...

6. Stevie

Bah!

'Twas the insistence on handwriting recognition and a needless concern that no-one would take to Graffiti as a writing tool that did for the Newton.

Graffiti went on to underpin the handheld market for years in the ultra successful Palm Pilot and Handspring Visor brands. I still use my Visor (though I've had to rebuild it due to inconvenient entropy attempting to kill it).

What killed the Newton was, if anything, a *lack* of confidence in it on Apple's part, along with no real strategic plan for where the device would fit into our lives. It was that quintessential Apple concept, the "neat idea".

It remains the only piece of post Macintosh era Apple kit I've ever wanted to own.

7. Goat Jam
    WTF?

iNewt

It's a which?

8. Tony Paulazzo
    Jobs Halo

Apple

Removing the tyranny of choice.

9. Ascylto
    Jobs Halo

@ Tony Paulazzo

And replacing it with the tyranny of what?

Millions of viruses?

A convicted monopolist?

A mad Monkey Boy?

It's business ... what do you expect?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like