back to article HP uses Home Server to power storage for small biz

HP has introduced a line of combined isCSI and file storage server/storage array bundles, and a small business backup product using Microsoft consumer backup software. The HP StorageWorks X3000 Network Storage System is a line of pre-configured, factory-tested, single-SKU (stock-keeping unit) product sets for small and mid- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Allan Rutland
    Alert

But....

What happens when the customer installs the Powerpack off the MS site? since that's an official pack from MS which urmm *cough* turns it into Server 2003 SBE but without the wizards, how will this effect a business since it's a large license change as opposed to it originally being used for "home" use which so far MS has pretty much ignored. Seems kind of a license minefield really,

2. Pondule

Home server?

Where do HP say it runs Windows Home Server? Says it uses Microsoft® Windows Storage Server 2008 Enterprise in the quickspecs.

It's compatible with the EVAs and XP arrays so 8 gb fibre channel is not unreasonable.

3. Pondule

Learning to read

I realy should read right to the bottom before commenting.

4. Chris Mellor 1

8gig HBA - 4gig array port mismatch

This was sent to me by Eric Krueger, WW PR Manager - HP StorageWorks:-

"We have 8Gbit/s FC HBAs connecting the gateway servers to our 4Gbit/s MSAs to future proof our customer's investment. The bundles are a high availability, scalable product so the 8GB HBAs made sense. Also, the MSA controller architecture is active active and hot pluggable. We have provided in the past upgrades from first generation to second generation controllers. Also, we have provided 8GB HBA's through our partnership with Emulex at an attractive price and this gives customers confidence that if HP were to introduce new MSAs with faster controllers, they have purchased an HA product that they can count on for years to come."

Seems good to me,

Chris.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh no it wont....

WHS is based on SBS, so installing PP2 won't turn it into any other product. Licensing is fairly clear, you get the server OS and can connect 10 PC's.

More info posted on http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2009/09/29/introducing-the-hp-data-vault/

6. Kurgan
    Linux

Windows home server?

Why don't they just use Linux?

7. deegee

@Allan Rutland 15:55 "But..."

I assume by Server 2003 SBE you actually mean SBS?

And how does the WHS PP2 turn WHS into SBS?? It definitely doesn't in many many areas.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/pp.mspx

Even without PP2 installed you can still use IIS for other sites, install FTP and a few other apps through the Add/Remove wizard, etc. But the OS license and user accounts are still limited compared to SBS, as is a lot of other missing SBS features (Exchange, Sharepoint, OLSB, WSUS, SQL, RWW, SMTP/POP3, etc. etc. etc.).

I'm running WHS on one of my systems at my house, and it is really nice. Of course I have most of the "WHS family" stuff turned off, and I'm using it more like Server 2003, and headless via remote desktop (NOT remote access). IMHO WHS's biggest downfall is the crappy drive extender system, I just keep all of my additional drives outside of the pool.

8. Chris Mellor 1

On 8Gig/4Gig FC mismatch issue

Emulex sent me this comment:

Yes, the MSA2312fc has two 4Gb/s Fibre Channel ports, but Emulex's 8Gb/s Fibre Channel HBAs deliver:

1. Better performance and scalability do to faster host responses (http://www.emulex.com/artifacts/2e09cf51-ba0b-4798-bf1e-6a46b4d024e7/8gig-HBAs-for-Oracle.pdf)

2. Improved VM scalability with improved CPU offload, particularly with Windows and 3. Investment protection.

Cheers,

Chris.

9. deegee
    Thumb Down

@Kurgan 09/29 18:57 "Windows home server?"

"Why don't they just use Linux?"

As soon as someone in the community releases a home server os that actually does "just work" and integrates better with Windows desktops, then maybe they will... but to think that the community ever will release something like that -- enjoy the really long wait...

There has been a number of linux-based "Home Server" competing products, but many were abandoned, some are still going like Amahi, but they will fail to capture the market for a number of reasons. The biggest being that almost all Linux apps are never finished, and many have poor interface design.

They also tend to use the typical fanboi comments regarding their OS which is guaranteed to turn off a lot of people. For example Amahi has a selling point of "reliable and virus-free"... but tell me who is going to be logged on locally and surfing and catching viruses on Windows Home Server??

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@deegee

The kind of retard that runs Windows Home Server .......

11. deegee
    FAIL

@AC 07:09

"The kind of retard that runs Windows Home Server .."

So you are saying that I'm a retard for running WHS? I guess that's why you posted as AC... :-)

So every FAMILY in their HOME looking for a media and file server would be better off with Amahi which includes such idiotic applications as a Web Wiki, Web BBS, Bug Tracking System, Customer Management System, etc. (these are listed in Amahi's HOME applications, not small business).

What family with children needs this stuff? I guess the bug tracker is so that little Johnny can tell mom about all of the bugs in the apps... As is typical they just throw a pile of freetard apps into a bucket and hope that people use it.

If they really want people to use this stuff, they need to put on a better interface that integrates more into Windows look-and-feel and usability since that is what the majority of home PCs are running. The biggest apps that need overhaul are the file managers. I have a dual-boot system here but I only use Kubuntu for minimal stuff mostly because their file management is lacking by a good twenty years (think Amiga or AtariST level)...

Until the freetards learn that usability is more important than free, they will continue in their single-digit desktop and home server market-share.

This topic is closed for new posts.