back to article EC probe costing Sun $100m a month

Larry Ellison claims the European Commission investigation into his proposed takeover of Sun Microsystems is costing $100m a month. Coincidentally that is exactly how much Ellison spends on scented candles to keep his fleet of fighter aircraft smelling fragrant. The Oracle boss accepted that European regulators have a job to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chronos
    Stop

Competition Commission

They're starting to get a little bothersome now. All of this goes on behind closed doors, takes too long and costs, both in terms of money and time, companies it turns its steely gaze upon. Far from being good for consumers, if this carries on it's going to make trading in the EU a bind for any corporation, with the resulting expense passed on to us. If there were any sort of due process I wouldn't be quite as bothered, but this is rule by committee and is getting ridiculous.

By the way, where does that €1.n billion they're fining Intel go? AMD aren't going to see any of it and I very much doubt that we are, except for paying for it on the next upgrade. They need to realise that whatever they fine these people comes out of our pockets, not theirs. For the sake of the rest of us, please, PLEASE come up with a better mechanism than fines to control abusive monopolies, otherwise EU fines and the cost of justifying their practices to the commission are going to comprise the majority of a product's price in Europe.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Worth it if they save MySQL...

Yes, when you buy the next *Intel* processor, you will be helping pay the fines. But if it makes Intel (or anyone else) think twice next time they try to screw a smaller rival, then everyone wins in the end. The government exists to keep the strong from preying on the weak. Let them do their damned job, or end up like the US.

3. Tam Lin

Typical lazy bureaucrats

With just a little more effort I'm sure they should be able to cost Larry "God" Ellison a more appropriate $200 million per month. 100 million isn't even a fortnight's supply of deck cleaner for his yachts.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@VoodooTrucker

I agree and as Chronos says none of the money will go to AMD but probably a good portion of should. That would really make Corps think about anti-competitive behaviour.

5. James O'Brien
    Coffee/keyboard

ROFL

"Coincidentally that is exactly how much Ellison spends on scented candles to keep his fleet of fighter aircraft smelling fragrant."

Good one John

This topic is closed for new posts.