back to article Microsoft responds to Xbox's 54% failure rate

Microsoft has admitted that it is “constantly improving” the Xbox 360, following the recent publication of a gamer-based survey that found the console to have a 54.3 per cent failure rate. Instead of refuting the survey’s findings – derived from a survey of 5000 Game Informer magazine readers, Microsoft told TG Daily that it …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

So in summary

after 4.5 years, they still haven't fixed the problem, but at least they have managed to brainwash consumers into thinking that over half your units breaking is acceptable.

Personally, I think they haven't refuted the numbers, because they are actually better than the actual numbers...

Another independent survey here shows the numbers are being even worse.. (57%) With 54% of users having MOR THAN 2 replacements!.

http://www.nofussreviews.com/survey-results.php

Clearly, 57% of them failing, and 52% having more than 2 replacements shows any problems are not fixed, and Microsoft are just stuck in a constant firefight replacing consoles with nothing reliable to actually replace them with.. Whats worse is brainwashed Xbots accept it and thus send Microsoft the message it's OK to do the same next time (launch early, not bother waiting until the product was ready).

2. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

So in summary, part 2

All these problems and yet the PS3 STILL can't make a dent in the Xbox's lead.

It just proves how much Sony have screwed things up this time... their arrogance has been their downfall.

3. Brian

Wii twoubles

I'm surprised the Wii failure rates are that low. Everyone I know that has purchased a Wii has had to send it in. I will say Nintendo's service is top-notch.

My xbox on the other hand has been rock solid and it gets played a lot more than the wii and is used for a number of other things like watching movies.

PS3.. what's that? :)

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

re: Stike Vomit

I see you have to resort the the PS3 is not selling FUD.

Lets look at some numbers (and feel free to validate them)..

360 launched 14 months earlier in Europe than the PS3 (Sony are busy making sure it worked, Microsoft couldn't give a toss about reliability). In those 14 months, Microsoft managed to rack up 12m console sales.

The gap between PS3 and 360 is now down to 5m consoles. (PS3 25m 360 = 30m). Sounds like Sony have done pretty well, they have halved the gap, despite being the most expensive console out there. Of course Microsofts count of 30m consoles, is a SHIPPED number, Sony use SOLD TO CONSUMERs for their numbers. In addition, many of Microsoft's numbers are RROD consoles that simply get thrown away and replacements (or PS3s) bought.

I wouldn't be suprised if both consoles have 25m ACTIVE consoles out there right now. Which pretty much matches game sales data which stacks up 50/50 these days (and has been the case since GTA IV release).

I know it must hurt badly deep down inside, knowing that you rushed to get the first thing that came along, and it turned out to be such a turd. The fact remains the 360 Elite and the PS3 Slim are the same price (and only £50 more than a Wii), and you have have to be a total retard to not get the PS3 Slim, given it's got proper HD output (both audio and video), Blu-Ray, Wifi, free online gaming, and is built on a 45nm process so runs cool and silent.

Xbots are getting more and more desperate by the day, as it's clear to all but the total brainwashed/braindead that Microsoft are going to be plain last yet again, and that any lead they gained by launching early was killed by the unreliability, costly extras and general crappiness of the Xbot platform.

5. JeeBee
    FAIL

No recall ...

Why haven't the consumer protection agencies in the UK and Europe been stronger in getting the 360 recalled due to design defects? Has it even featured on Watchdog? If the users won't stand up for their right to not get shoddy goods, then someone has to. It would send a message to Microsoft to not release broken hardware early into the market.

Of course the repair / replacement program is quite reasonable for Microsoft, although it's still stingy under EU warranty law. If your >3 year old 360 has RRODed I would still get Microsoft to fix it, as it is a design defect that shouldn't have a limited warranty (even if that was extended from one year). These breakages are time consuming and distressing for consumers, and many people have had it happen repeatedly.

6. Ryan 1986
    FAIL

no excuses, this was bound to come out

Its taken awhile but this information proves that the xbox is the worst console in this generation of consoles. Microsoft released this way to early, even a 6 month delay in release wouldnt of fixed their problems as 4 years later the RROD is still causing users to get replacements.

These figures show that nearly 16,000,000 360's have broken since its release, I wonder how many have been replaced by microsoft? 7,000,000? 12,000,000? Alot of people wouldnt of known about the replacement system so would of gone out and bought another (also increasing 360 figures).

How much money have microsoft stole from live subscribers in downtime due to their machine problems?

This really is a mess - how can people STILL defend it. Mocking PS3 users?... for what, having a better system that works and is cheaper in the long run?

Guess the truth hurts. This console war has been fun, Microsoft fooling its users, and watching the fools step up, it really has been fun reading all their comments. I cant help but feeling alittle sorry for them.... NOT!

7. Ian 4

Watchdog

Xbox 360 was on Watchdog earlier this year/late last year - in relation to disk scratching rather than RROD.

8. Peter 48
    Stop

Get your facts straight

AC - your numbers are all off - Ms didn't report global sales figures of 12million until September 2007 - nearly 1 year after the PS3 was released (6 months in Europe). Sales figures are also currently at approx 24 million for PS3 and 32Million for 360. So MS have actually, at worst, maintained their lead, and going by the latest annual sales figures, they have actually sold more consoles globally than the PS3, so theoretically they are increasing the lead, although with the release of the PS3 slim that should finally change. Sony also doesn't report sales to consumers, it reports sales to retail, which is the same as MS's shipping figures. And I seriously doubt there are that many people who would rather throw their console away than get it repaired for free.

Furthermore, Games sales are almost always in 360's favour, by a considerable margin, including GTA 4, which has sold 7 million for the 360 and 5 million for the PS3. Which reflects a larger gamer install base for the 360 than the PS3.

And sure, the 360 elite is now the same price as the PS3 slim, but the arcade is still significantly cheaper.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Go

The sound of silence?

My Elite recently failed. Repeated lockup, then a few days later RRoD. Had a replacement delivered within a few days free from MS. They'd replaced the motherboard apparently; the case was the original (I’d made a distinctive little scratch on the back just to check!) so it wasn’t a simple console swap.

I don’t really like the PS controller size any longer now I’ve become used to the chunkier Xbox one. Also there are a few specific game series I like on the Xbox (Fable, Halo and Gears of War).

Otherwise I’ve no particular loyalty. It’s a shame my 360 had a RRoD; hope it won’t with the new M/B. I do like the 360 experience generally however it is noisy. Give me the option of a silent console and I’ll replace my 360. Anyone know if the SlimPS3 is silent?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like