back to article Apple iTablet snaps emerge

As Apple fanboys eagerly await the firm’s 7 September announcement, images of the much-rumoured iTablet have appeared online. First things first – we’ve no proof that these images are authentic, but as the French website that has them, Nowhereelse, points out, the pictured gadget does look very credible. itablet_photo_02 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mick F

iScratch

That screen will last minutes and Apple will do their usual disclaimer.

Still have not thought of a single reason for buying one.

2. Dale 3

Hope it's a fake

Not a terribly convincing video. If it is real, that OS has a very poor response time. Looks a bit like a laptop screen (closely zoomed in so you can't see the whole device) playing a video of various iPhone apps, with a choreographed finger following a predictable pattern.

Only thing that stops me from believing it is a fake is wondering why a person would bother going to all this trouble to make a fake. Then again, I always think people would have better things to do, but the reality is that quite often they simply don't.

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Fake

That screen is 16:10 ... any device aimed at video will be 16:9

4. Colin MacLean
    FAIL

Fake!

The pics have already been discredited on a few rumour sites.

If you Google an image using "mac leopard welcome" you'll find the same welcome screen as shown on these photos. Makes you thing they've just grabbed the first image they could get and 'shopped it on...

5. vincent himpe
    Thumb Down

fake

for multiple reasons.

first : you clearly see the lcd bend ( when he touches the lcd you see the color shift due to the glass warping ) the real deal would have an extra glass plate that forms the touchscreen. the cromatic shift would not be noticeable.

second all he shows is apps that are on iphone aspect ratio. simple screenshots.

there is not a single app that shows fullscreen. kinda stupid for a tablet.

the images also look 'inflated' like they were doubled in size.

6. Wellard
    FAIL

I call fake!

Do an image search on google for 'leopard welcome'. The first hit matches the one in the photo .. http://images.google.com/images?q=leopard welcome

7. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Video is fake

Notice the pauses before pressing certain buttons such as the 'Top 25' button in the iTunes store, and also note the disparate scrolling of the notes app and the finger gesture, along with the delay.

Looks to me like that is simply an animation with the faker pretending to interact with it.

Note also the casing is white with a lip around the edge (just like a MacBook in fact...), and why limit the video to the screen? It's as if someone doesn't want us to see something - such as the rest of the laptop it's running on.

Finally note when the 'Notes' app icon is initially pushed, we see a discolouration as the LCD (hint) panel is pressed - Apple's latest displays (including the iPhone) have a glass cover and this would not happen, however it is feasible this could be a new type of display.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Fake

That video shows a soft TFT-style screen (like you get on a laptop or flatscreen). I find it hard to believe that Apple wouldn't use a hard (glass?) capacitive screen for a device like this.

Also, the timing of the finger-presses and screen reactions aren't in sync. It wouldn't take long to knock up a fake 'screen interaction' in flash etc, run it whilst on close zoom.

9. Belvedere Mulholland

If they are genuine...

...I will eat my own arse.

Really.

10. Tel
    FAIL

Yeah right

First of all... the 'welcome' picture is **precisely** the same as the picture you get when you do a Google search for Leopard Welcome screen

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&um=1&sa=1&q=leopard+welcome+screen&aq=f&oq=&aqi=&start=0

What are the chances that the letters would be photographed in exactly the same position on the 'tablet'? Indeed, why would it be running Leopard which isn't optimised for pudgy fingers? It'd be running something else - similar maybe, but certainly not using the same welcome screen and certainly not when Leopard is about to be upgraded and in the process changing the installation process anyway - why would a pre-production machine be using an old version of the OS not designed for tablet usage when there's a new version due out any day that clearly would support a tablet (if indeed they plan to use normal OS X on it at all)?

Secondly, the alignment of the graphic isn't correct.

Thirdly, the video very carefully doesn't show the edges of the 'tablet' - it's so obviously a finger choreographed to a video.

Fourthly, Apple would NEVER release anything that ugly.

This is an absolute fake.

11. Chris 267

Fake.

It's clearly a laptop screen. You can see that when the finger presses the Notes icon, there's some distortion consistent with pressing a finger against a plastic laptop screen. If anyone thinks that an iTablet *isn't* going to come with an iPhone-like glass capacitive screen then they're off their rocker.

The other dead giveaway is the appearance of an iPhone keyboard in the (iPhone) app itself. It would be impossible to use in that position on a device that large. The likelihood of first-party Apple iPhone apps being ported directly to the device without tailoring for the larger screen is also low.

That the pictured device is in line with expectations, and that it takes its styling cues directly from the iPod Touch, is also a pretty good giveaway. It reminds me of the old 'iPod Touch' photos that had been created using an iPod 5G as the template (http://is.gd/2kZwr). It had iPod styling and no usability enhancements (retaining a soft-clickwheel).

12. northern monkey
    Thumb Down

Looks very much like

Someone has an iphone and an iMac and has generated the video by overlaying graphics from the two (the aspect ratio of the notes app is exactly the same as it is on the iphone, which there doesn't seem to need to be necessary or optimal on the itablet).

Less sure about the casing, but perhaps a snap of an iphone rejigged? They'd have had to move the button, airbrushed out the speaker and recoloured the bevel but hardly beyond the means of a good photoshopper!

I'm just not convinced apple would go for such a small button on a large device!

13. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

complete nonsense

that's a rubbish fake, the build quality is pathetic, the screen/device corners sit very awkwardly, it's not the right colour/finish either. it's also missing one key feature. you'll find out sept 15th.

14. richard 69
    FAIL

do you really think apple will produce a giant ipod touch?

no, think different.

it's a new type of device, not a larger version of whats already there.

15. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

FAKE

Check out the Notes dock icon - when he presses it, the screen shimmers, any tablet would have a rigid glass touch pane like the iphone/ipod touch.

So either it is the Tablet OS, running on a laptop or its a complete mock up.. Either way, that ain't no touchscreen being used interactively.

16. David Hicks
    Thumb Down

Looks a bit like the "crunchpad" project

Which is far more attractive to me. Bigger, (most likely) cheaper and open.

17. Richard 20
    Alert

Probably a fake, but…

Two things which I find quite compelling are the momentum given to the Notes app when it's moved and the keyboard appearing when it is activated. These are both features that seem very Apple-like.

Otoh, I worry that the screen "gives" like a laptop one rather than the solid glassy surface of the iPhone or iPod touch.

18. Yudi Djalal

Don't think so...

This is most probably a fake picture. Why would Apple design a 2010 product that looks exactly like the one brought out in 2008? Doesn't make sense. If you take a moment to look at the Apple product range, the new ones looks nothing like the old ones.

19. Alex Gollner
    Jobs Halo

The key is the stand

The key to tablets is that they sometimes will be used by more than one person at a time - that means the stand it comes with will be important. You need a simple way to hold the device at 45º while being strong enough for two people to be prodding the screen without falling over.

@alex4d

20. musoben
    Paris Hilton

fake

fake fake fake

fake

paris, coz nothin's fake on her...

21. SmallYellowFuzzyDuck, how pweety!
    Badgers

Squishy screen

Ok someone else can clarify on this for me as I don't know much about touch displays.

When the person presses on the screen in the video the response is like a flat screen LCD display, the surface squishes and you can see distortion on the screen.

This usually means the screen is plastic covered, I would have thought for somelike like a tablet it would have a glass display so you wouldn't see the pressure distortion.

A plastic covered screen wouldn't last minutes in your pocket. Apple seem to like glass on the displays and you can have glass covered touchs screens maybe working on capacitive technology, right?

So could it either be a very early prototype as El Reg suggests or someone has knocked up a fake, which is very convincing.

I hope the Apple tablet is coming out as it looks amazing, but I suspect it will also be very expensive.

22. Mathew White

Our survey says...

X <EH ER>

Fake.

Incidentally i think the 'white specs' are in fact the fins of plastic on the front bezel that attach it to the body of the unit. They are regularly laid out, and are visible in the top right of the unit.

23. SlabMan
    Gates Halo

Home button has poor ergonomics

To use multi touch and gestures, you'll need one hand free while the other holds the tablet. The most secure grip will be to tuck it into the crook of your arm and hold it clipboard-style. However, that's portrait orientation, so the Home button is in the wrong place. It needs to be on the narrow axis of the device, not the wide one. That position will still work for landscape use, but the device will need to know which way is up to cater for right and left-handed users.

24. Robert Forsyth

You won't actually touch the screen

I was under the impression that with Apples next tech, you wouldn't touch the screen, but wave your hands in front of it, like Minority Reports, or type on the table top near the device. And with voice command to save typing.

Why not just have a large iPod Touch - a Mega or Giga version. These fakes are not world changing enough, they are the work of a dull mind.

The photo seems too ugly for Apple, the iPhone button is in the way. The machine may have been photoed switched off and the screen image Photoshopped in to make it more interesting.

The video, where is the web-cam? The related video that appeared, although an obvious fake, is more what you would expect

25. Adam T
    Stop

@Squishy screen

My first thoughts exactly.

My second thoughts were, why zoom in so close? So you can't see what he's touching, of course.

And Apple are keen on ergonomics...the bevel is ugly (too wide a radius) and the home button is too close to the edge, and too iPhone/iPod Touch.

Finally I doubt very much that they'd force you to type on an iPhone-size keypad with a full screen at your disposal.

Fake.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

nice fake dust.

Its amazing what you can do with 3ds max and Vray (ON A PC)

27. Bilgepipe
    FAIL

Fake

Fakety fakety fake fake.

28. This post has been deleted by its author

29. Eddy Ito
    IT Angle

iTablet??

who cares, it's fugly. Not in the usual sense though but iOMG fugly. So, is the IT angle the use of photoshop or something?

30. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Good heavens ...

An Etch-a-Sketch!

31. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

this is a fale because...

Check the date on the Note pad. It says 12 r 13th of August.

Check the "Weather" window - the day says "Tuesday".

Now check you cal - Tuesday was the 11th, not the 12 (or 13th). Also the date format on the note pad seems like an old one. The screen-saver too is the rocks, quite common for a laptop these days, doubt it will be used in the next gen uber cool device.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like