back to article Best Buy demos Dell netbook running... Mac OS X

Clearly uninspired by Windows XP Home, one Best Buy staffer slapped Mac OS X on one of the chain's demo Dell Inspiron Mini 910v netbooks, if pictures posted on the internet are to be taken at face value. Hackintosh at Best Buy Best Buy's hackintosh netbook (allegedly) Source: Gizmodo Whether snapped by a vistor to the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John-James Worrall

Really?

Unless we see something more concrete than a few snaps from a camera phone, this is a non-story. My Ubuntu netbook 'looked' identical to OS X, but was still Ubuntu behind the Apple wallpaper and dock.

2. Cameron Colley

OSX works on teh Eeee 1000 too.

Though quite why you''d choose OSX over Linux I don't know.

3. alan 39

I know this isnt going to go down well but...

And wouldn't you rather have a 10in Mac OS X netbook for $350 (£212/€247) than a Windows XP machine?

No I wouldnt.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Counter offer

Steve will make a counter offer -- "We'll write the specs, make machines that meet it and put Apple logo on it -- in other words, be Apple supplier." That is one of the biggest reasons why Apple won't officially allow OS X to run on non-Apple machines -- why "compete with MS directly" while they can get contract outfits to build Apple machines, and make a good profit doing so?

5. AceRimmer

Easily done

An effect like that can be achieved by hiding the task bar, setting desktop items to hidden, changing the wall paper and installing something like rocketdock

6. Paul 131
    Thumb Up

just the beginning...

It may take the removal of the "Reality Distortion Field" but OS X is sure destined for the mainstream market!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Treasure Island

"And wouldn't you rather have a 10in Mac OS X netbook for $350 (£212/€247) than a Windows XP machine?"

Never - undoubtedly £350, like all the rest.

8. Martin Owens
    Linux

Come on

They could have made it act just like a _legal_ mac osx machine just by buying Ubuntu Mini 10vs from Dell.

Who-o-why do retail chains continue to have their fingers in their ears and their heads up their arses shouting la, la, la to their internal rectum I shall never know. The training is there, on the table, not that expensive, if they could be bothered to reply to the channel.

9. A. Lewis
    Paris Hilton

That would be interesting.

If Dell started selling systems with MacOS, the boys in Redmond really would have to worry. That is, unless of course Dell added Apple's 'premium' to the price too. I can't see it happening either way though. It's always been the case that you can't buy MacOS except on a mac, or buy a mac without MacOS (I know, boot camp etc. but you get the idea). That's part of what sets Apple apart from the down and dirty, any-OS-or-none-at-all world of modern PC sales. And I can't see why Apple would want to change that.

I think these photos though are either a hoax, a bored best buy employee messing about with the stock, or possible even a returned product that someone hacked and that found its way back onto the shelves.

10. SmallYellowFuzzyDuck, how pweety!
    Grenade

Just a screen grab in full screen?

Well until someone else comes in the shop and verifies it I would say someone just did a screen grab on a Mac and are now displaying it full screen on that laptop. That would be a doddle to do and only take a few minutes for a bored shop assistant to do.

wouldn't it be a disciplinary offence anyway if one of the staff had really installed Mac OS on a PC machine, it would be considered hacking and put the shop in a bad light.

Imagine though it Apple really did allow people to install Mac OS on machines of their choice, how flexible that would be! I like Mac OS but wish it wasn't locked down to Apple machines only.

I could build a machine to my own specifications and stick a non-Windows OS on it.

Before anyone comments I wouldn't really want Linux on it either...

11. Scott Mckenzie
    Badgers

Mini 9

There are numerous articles out there showing exactly how to install it on the Mini 9.... it runs extremely well too!

Therefore i would believe the screenshots are real... the only issue with the Mini 9 is needing a bigger hard disc as the supplied one is too small for OS X.

http://i.gizmodo.com/5156903/how-to-hackintosh-a-dell-mini-9-into-the-ultimate-os-x-netbook

or

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/faqs-how-tos/1062-howto-install-os-x-mini9-boot132-original-thread.html

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Obvious fake

The computer in the first image is different then the computer in the second image.

13. eJ2095

Right

Got this running as a Dual system on my Acer one

Runs fine to be fair BUT i have nowt to use on the Mac

14. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

One of the better ones I believe...

I believe Dell and MSI are the more compatible hackintosh bases to work on....not that I know anything about that! ( Hides OSX loaded Acer in bag )

15. Saucerhead Tharpe
    Linux

I Thought the 10" Dell couldn't be hackintoshed

Somethng todo with having an incompatible Graphics chip

Might have something like X-Pup or another OSX faking skin on Linux

16. Tony Smith (Written by Reg staff)

@Saucerhead

The Mini 10 can't but the Mini 10v - different CPU and GPU - can have OS X installed.

17. Cameron Colley

RE: Obvious Fake

I thought that, but it's actually the same machine -- the silver body and black keyboard give the illusion that the top image is a different machine.

@SmallYellowFuzzyDuck -- except that, in the video, the person filming brings up a computer information type message box (don't know what they call it on a Mac).

18. Michael C

Nice catch anonymous coward

I was going to also point out that the machine in the first image is a black plastic machine, and the one seen at the top of the second is a silver metallic system, but you beat me to it...

Had you actually used a username, you might have gotten proper credit....

19. Richard 102

@Counter Offer

Licensing the OS won't work. Apple tried this before with the clone program in the 90s. It nearly killed the company.

20. Steven Knox
    Boffin

@A. Lewis

"It's always been the case that you can't buy MacOS except on a mac, or buy a mac without MacOS (I know, boot camp etc. but you get the idea)."

Not so. About 14 years ago Apple actually licensed their hardware specs to clone makers and "blessed' the OS to run on them -- for about 18 months. Then the clones started having problems* (cut corners, overclocked, or just misinterpreted the spec -- you decide), MacOS started to look less stable as a result, and soon after Steve Jobs came back, Apple dropped the program.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_clone#Official_Macintosh_clone_program

* Isn't that always the case with clones..?

21. SmallYellowFuzzyDuck, how pweety!
    Pint

@Cameron Colley

Aww yeah, didnt watch the video, now I have.

The video is like one of those Bigfoot or UFO videos, out of focus shaky camera work, usually done to make something fake look genuine. Making an Info box pop up like that maybe isnt beyond faking either.

I suspect it may be genuine, but it needs a better more detailed video.

22. MrT

FlyAKite

Not saying whether it's real in this case, but I used to run WinXP reskinned as OS X with FlyAKite - it knitted into the OS so much that Windows Update had problems. The only thing that gave it away was the position of the window controls (Min, Window/Full-screen, Close) on some programs.

Just another possibility...

23. Bod

Simple

XP with RocketDock + OS X wallpaper

That's all you'd need to knock that up on XP.

24. AceRimmer
    Headmaster

Coincidence

Is it me or are these Mac/PC articles less full of the usual commentards?

Just so happens to be the school holidays to boot

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

DELL Mini 9 is still my fav for installing Mac OS X

I have built up this guide as I install the OS X on Dell Mini 9. Do give it a try:http://www.squidoo.com/dellmini9_osX

In fact this is my very first Mac! I am definitely going to buy a "real" one after this installation. Do take a survey in http://www.squidoo.com/dellmini9_osX so that we know if this little project can motivate you to buy the Real MAC

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like