back to article SHA-3 hash contest enters second round

The competition for the next generation of cryptographic hash algorithms has moved on to its second stage. Fourteen candidates have been selected by the US National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), which is running the contest, to progress onto the next round in the competition to define the algorithm that will …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

What a shame it takes so long

'climax after four years' - not trying very hard are we???

Ms. Hilton certainly would be much faster...

2. Havin_it
    Pint

RE: What a shame it takes so long

Obviously a tantric thang. Perhaps Sting is involved?

"Don't stand so close to me" can be interpreted as a warning about the incidence of collisions in hash generation, after all.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Cryptography should be slow

Like programming languages and compilers, you want to take time to vet this stuff. Once its out there, it tends to get stuck.

4. Charles 9
    WTF?

But this thing is like those...

...Japanese obstacle course competitions. They're grueling as anything, they're time-limited...and most critically, there's no guarantee of a winner. So what happens when, as the deadline looms, it's discovered that NONE of the algorithms are cryptographically safe for the purposes of SHA-3 while all prior algorithms are slowly being picked apart, leaving you with shark fins on both sides of you?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Just as long as...

...my pron can be encrypted safely away from enforcement agencies I'll be happy.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like