back to article Nissan unveils high-tech e-car prototype

Nissan has whipped the dust sheets off of a prototype electric car, which the company used as a test-bed for the creation of its upcoming leccy vehicle. Nissan_EV11_01 Nissan's EV-11: a test car for another upcoming e-car design Based on the firm’s Tiida hatchback, the front-wheel drive EV-11 prototype was used to test the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JasonW
    FAIL

Why?

"The satnav’s also capable of sending various battery alerts – such as the remaining charge time – to you over the internet and by SMS."

What use is it though? So you can go and rescue your other half because she/he drove it down to zero battery life?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why?

>The satnav’s also capable of sending various battery alerts – such as the remaining charge time – to you over the internet and by SMS.

So, you're sat at your desk and your car decides to send you an SMS to advise you of the status of its battery, what use is that? I wish these people would start to think of something innovative instead of trying to find useless applicactions to justify worthless technology.

3. mmiied

would buy

"Nissan hasn’t said if the EV-11 prototype will ever go into production"

pitty as I might well buy a car that looks like that

4. JeeBee
    Stop

All fine until Brown taxes electricity for cars

Well the Satnav that tells you where to get electricity is useful, given that these will be few and far between for the next ten years or so. Might give you the balls to go beyond 30 miles of home in your presumably very expensive car.

24kWh = 100 miles? So at 10p/unit that's £2.40 to go 100 miles. That's better than a 50mpg diesel car that costs a tenner or thereabouts to go the same distance. It'd better have 5 minute recharge to 80% / 80 miles. Sadly I bet petrol stations will charge 20p/unit, and that's before Gordon Brown somehow taxes electricity used for cars punitively, prematurely destroying the electric car market in his greed.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Chris W

"So, you're sat at your desk and your car decides to send you an SMS to advise you of the status of its battery, what use is that? I wish these people would start to think of something innovative instead of trying to find useless applicactions to justify worthless technology."

Or, maybe you just want to get on with doing something like gardening or going for a walk and then be notified when your car is charged so you can then go wherever you want. Unless you spend every waking moment sat at your desk in which case you really need to get a different job.

I wish these people would start to think of something other than the first thing that sprang into their heads that would justify posting a comment that allows them to moan about something they can't grasp a possible use for.

6. Al Taylor
    Alert

@ ChrisW, JasonW

The idea is that it sends sms alerts while being charged so you know when its "done" without having to pop back to the car and check visually. We should have made that more clear.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

what if you haven't got a mobile phone?

I can maintain most petrol/diesel engined cars myself. I very much doubt I'll be legally allowed to maintain an electric car... Too complicated for a mere human - you need an electric monkey for that.... ooopps more cost/complexity/overhead.

Taking into account all the added costs and taxation - and the additional electricity demand - the cost of not saving the planet is set to rise substantially, I fear.

Hydrogen powered cars for me please with Electricity generated from Solar furnaces or Tidal/Wave power.

Rgds, Captn Ludd

8. davefb

prices

@jeebee,

of course, if you removed the tax on the diesel that £2.40 looks apalling.

and 10p a unit, that seems quite cheap, even before 'wind tax'..

9. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

A/C in a battery car..

I think the remote A/C control is a good one - provided the car's still hooked up to a power supply. A/C still takes a whacking amount of energy..

10. Tom Simnett

@JeeBee

Hopefully Mr Brown will be long gone from a position where he can make such decisions by the time this hits.

11. Rusk

Why bother

Why are we bothering with electric cars when Hydrogen powered cars are so much better! Stop spending money on the eCar and make the hCar!

12. DrStrangeLug

Hydrogen is not cheaper

I wish people would stop saying hydrogen all the time like its some magic solution. It takes three times the energy to travel 1 mile on hyrdrogen than on battery.

And nothing can hold hydrogen in a tank indefinitely - it leaks away and you're left empty.

13. h 6
    Happy

At last!

2 things: finally, I read an article for an e-car that mentions air conditioning! I thought, since I've never come across a mention of it, that when we all went 'lectric we'd just sweat our asses off in the summer.

2nd thing: they put the power plug port in the FRONT of the car, not backside where the gas cap USED to be. Finally!

14. CypherDragon
    Badgers

@ AC 12:41

Actually, full electrics are less complicated mechanically than petrol/diesel powered cars. There's no need for a torque-balanced, completely synchronized array of parts being used to generate power from small controlled explosions occurring hundreds of times a second. Electronically, it's a different story. But if your electronics go tits up, even in a modern petrol car, you're going to need to take it to a shop to fix...and you were talking about maintenance anyway :)

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@AC, Al Taylor

Or maybe some people are neither slaves to time nor technology and not knowing the exact second that a battery is charged is not something to get in a panic over.

This topic is closed for new posts.