back to article Teen cuffed for bomb threat webcam pay-per-view

A North Carolina teenager has been arrested and accused of phoning in bomb threats to schools and universities so he could charge admission for people to watch in real time over webcams as police responded. Ashton C. Lundeby, 16, of Oxford, North Carolina took part in a group that used VoIP, or voice over IP, software and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Charles Manning

Wrong approach

The cops should just set up in competition. Use fake call outs as a training exercise and charge pay per view to defray expenses.

2. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

I really hope...

...that a heavily armed swat team kicked in his door at 4am and he shit his PJ's, maybe let off a taser or two at the same time. Look forward to seeing on "Cops with Cameras in cars with guns and helecopters uncensored 3".

Lock the idiot up, preferably with some lonely life termer....

3. TeeCee Gold badge
    FAIL

Dumberer and dumbererer.

"Lundeby's crew also phoned in bomb threats to the FBI"

Or, how to seriously piss off the organisation most likely to be trying to catch you and get yourselves bumped up their priority stack. The only surprising thing here is that an agent didn't have an unfortunate firearm safety catch malfunction when they went to arrest him.

I'm rapidly warming to the idea that being a brain-dead fuckwit should be a crime punishable by life imprisonment. It'd save time and effort.

4. EdwardP
    Flame

Wow. Twats.

I've done my fair share of e-naughtyness, but these guys deserve everything they get.

This isn't inventive or original, it's the logical conclusion to trolling. There's an intellectual element to hacking, it's not just running a script, it's a concerted effort that takes a lot of background knowledge and time. What these guys are doing takes no skill and they probably cost millions in police operation costs, and distracted from real call outs.

Setting up a website advestising this kind of thing is, to be honest, staggeringly stupid. It smacks of children being involved.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ITV should try this

After all, they've wrung dry just about every other format of "cops kicking peoples door in" short of "cops kicking in the doors of guys called Muhammed who once visited Pakistan to visit relatives" in search of that elusive ad revenue. And 300 viewers at one time would be a huge leap forward in audience for ITV4.

As we all know kids, terror sells!

6. Psymon

10 out of 10 for initiative I suppose

but more importantly, has some retard actually named a university "Clemson University In Clemson". Is that just in case the students get lost?

Please tell me that's just a typo, and that the Americans haven't devolved that far.

Next thing you know, we'll be hearing the pitter-patter of thumbs raining to the ground, as they are no longer needed, shortly followed by sea levels rising as the entire population migrates back into the sea to support their enormous bulk.

7. Goat Jam
    Gates Halo

Entrepreneurial Spirit

You gotta admire this kids entrepreneurial spirit though. Who knows, thirty years earlier and he could have been running a world dominating software corporation worth billions!

8. James O'Brien
    Thumb Up

@Charles Manning

Heh Too true too true. Atleast then we wont be wasting tax payer money for that.

9. The Original Ash
    Big Brother

Really... What the hell?

Not only does this disrupt the emergency services, but it also desensitizes the staff and students from this kind of threat in the future. They more than likely the students wouldn't know (treating it as a fire alarm to prevent panic) but the point still remains.

Whatever sentence this kid gets, I say double it. Once for disrupting the emergency services, once for disrupting the school.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Capitalists

Gotta love 'em

11. Rod MacLean
    Coffee/keyboard

@Psymon

I couldn't help but laugh long and hard when I read that.

12. Winkypop Silver badge
    Headmaster

In my day...

...a bunch of us would just pick up the headmaster's VW Beetle and hide it someplace.

Technology eh?

13. Trygve Henriksen
    Big Brother

These goons likes PayPerView live cams?

Next on cable:

Cell block D; Watch as the new imates meets their cellmates...

14. JC 2

@Psymon

They'll refer to a university campus like that because some unis have multiple campuses. The general format is university name + "in" or "at", etc, then the geographical location or landmark name for the campus.

15. LuMan
    Thumb Up

@Winkypop

Yes, but did you also put dog poo in the exhaust?

16. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

@Psymon

"but more importantly, has some retard actually named a university "Clemson University In Clemson".

There may well be another Clemson University elsewhere, or Clemson may have more than one campus.

17. lorenzo
    Paris Hilton

Give em a job at ITV

Who hasn't made prank calls as a youth? Or even hit the fire alarm at school? It beats setting the place on fire ( it wasn't me- a big boy did it and ran away) These generation Y urchins are merely showing the rest of us up, for our lack of imagination

Paris- cause she built a career on the back of internet video

18. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

@Winkypop

But you know, we were happy in those days... Our headmaster had 16 ton truck that we had to pick up and hide on the roof of the school, and when he found it, he would thrash us with a broken bottle - if we were lucky!

And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.

(Where's the "old fart" icon - ISAGN...)

19. The First Dave

Public Score

I give them about 6 out of 10 for invention and entrepeneurial spirit,

but about 1 out of 10 for execution, which is fairly close to what SWAT would have done if they had known.

20. bex

idiot

the words "book" and "throw" comes to mind

21. Mike Moyle
    Coat

@ lorenzo

"Paris- cause she built a career on the back of internet video"

...on the "two backs" of internet video, surely!

22. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Makes me wonder...

I wonder how much will the police bleed symphathy out of this. Claim all mistakes were pranks and not "Is that a 3 in Crookstreet 31 or is it 51? Oh well, we will hit both." Or " We have no idea who did it for too long, let's arrest somebody just for press."

Might sound a bit far fetched, but it happens and more often than people think.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like