Yes men "generally" prefer similar types of women (with only minor variances), but the researchers conclusions about women are a complete fail.
Firstly the way women present themselves is rarely about attracting us males.... it's about competition with other women (ie they want to look as good as or better than their peers) in an effort to get respect from other women. The only time they care what us guys think of their presentation is when they want to manipulate us to get their way on a matter.
Secondly, research, from a few years ago, proved that what women find physically attractive varies depending on what time of the month it is... around the time of ovulation they prefer stronger fitter looking males, while the rest of the cycle they prefer more sensitive (the research actually called it feminine) looking males.
Lastly, women usually have a wide tolerance for what is physically "acceptable" in a mate, so their choices usually takes other factors into consideration; factors like:
- how long can the guy avoid saying something stupid
- how well can he provide, and protect
- how easily can he be manipulated him (the more they hate him, the more attractive he is)
- is he attractive to other women (the fact that someone else wants him marks him as worthwhile having)
Other things women like in a man:
- one who doesn't whine and act like a victim
- one who will take responsibility and show leadership
- money doesn't hurt (this is more important to some women that others)
Yes women are full of contradictions, but that doesn't mean they can't be understood...
I just wish I'd understood them when I was a growing up...