back to article DataViz Documents To Go 1.0

DataViz's Documents To Go, born out of the file-translation tools the company made for the Mac nearly two decades ago, has been a mainstay of Palm OS devices for almost as long. That mix of Mac heritage and mobility made it seem inevitable that DTG would come to the iPhone. And now, at last, it has. Well, sort of. What DataViz …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Colonel Panic
    FAIL

Not very useful

At the moment, if you want to edit documents on your iPhone, there are pretty much only two contenders:

Quickoffice

Docs-to-Go.

It doesn't look as if either have quite thought through how and why people would need on-the-go document editing.

If you can afford an iPhone, you likely have a computer. With a big screen. And a real keyboard too. So are you going to be doing all your word-processing on your iPhone - er, no.

Which means you'll be wanting to do a couple of things: synchronise different versions, and send the documents to people (after all, if you're using your iPhone rather than your main machine, its likely because you are out of the office and in a hurry.

At the moment, Docs-to-Go allows you to synchronise, but not send, and Quickoffice allows you to send but not synchronise.

Both need to try harder.

2. Mark Dowling
    Flame

has been on Blackberry for a while now

nice of Apple to catch up I suppose :)

http://www.dataviz.com/products/documentstogo/blackberry/techspecs.html

3. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Happy

@Colonel Panic

You're not going to be writing docs from scratch, but if you're on the train and go "oh **** they misspelled the client's name all the way through" you can do a quick update right there. Or move paragraphs around, or toss in boilerplate, etc etc.

That's what I used to do on my old Palm. And sweet monkey jesus, it was slow.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

@Mark Dowling

I find the blackberries to be vastly superior in most areas as well, but I must admit that the iPhone is coming along very nicely indeed.

If/when they manage to do proper multitasking of applications (I was hoping they would do this with the 3GS) as well as well as a 'calendar today' function on the main screen I might seriously consider trying one out :o)

At least if they ever include a JVM.

Troll, because Java a sore point :(

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@Mark Dowling

Well done Mark. A couple of points, if you'll allow. Apple haven't "caught up", DataViz have. As a third party app it's not as if Blackberrys had this functionality out of the box. Mine didn't. Finally when, using your logic did Blackberry catch up with Palm? Or do they start from scratch now that they have released the Pré?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like