back to article SCO inks last-second life-saving Unix pact

After a nuclear holocaust, the only thing left alive will be roaches... and the SCO Group. The company that thinks it owns some lines of Linux – and that everyone else thought was fated for Chapter 7 bankruptcy death this week – has instead revealed to the world that it is the immortal Highlander. Just before a crucial …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Paul Adams 2
    Joke

What an insult!

Comparing SCO to post nuclear-holocaust cockroaches is an insult to all insects.

2. nichomach
    Stop

Oh, FFS....

Stake? Holy water? Garlic? Anyone? Please?

3. Kevin Bailey

Where's....

....Waldo?

4. Giles Jones Gold badge

Crazy

In this difficult financial times you would think high risk investments would be out of the picture.

This company has nothing other than a dubious claim over Linux. Why don't they just give up, they're not going to win.

5. Ashley Stevens

Shady?

This sounds like a slightly shady deal to move all the assets of SCO into a different company from the one with the liabilities.

6. Matthew Barker
    Paris Hilton

I wonder...

What kind of person is Darl McBride? He wants to stay on and man a sinking ship?

Please, summon the kraken and finish this thing.

Paris because she has a cute pet kraken in her swimming pool.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

London-based Gulf Capital Partners ?

Parent company based in Redmond perhaps ?

8. Jim T
    Stop

Sounds familiar

It can't be bargained with! It can't be reasoned with! It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!

9. J 3
    Paris Hilton

Hm...

Have the MS fanboys been running the collection plate around, I wonder? I mean, it's hard to believe anyone (even Microsoft) would invest in SCO nowadays, so it must have been someone crazy...

10. K. Adams
    IT Angle

@Ashley: Why not?

The U.S. is doing the same thing with GM and Chrysler...

:-\ :-\ :-\

11. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects 1
    Boffin

Business like SCO business.

What would anyone want to buy or back a failed Unixware company for? It isn't viable even if the code is updated. Who would update the code and what for?

It's hard enough for a Linux business to make money. And almost all Linux companies have credence. I'd have thought that a speculator with any real idea of going into the business would start his own Linux company or invest in one looking for a fund-raiser.

Good grief even Novell seems not to want Unix code. And I get the idea they are only sparring with SCO for the publicity it gives them.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

DIE SCUM!!!!!!

(title says it all really...)

13. SynnerCal
    Coat

Here's a horrible thought...

... supposing SCO merged with Phorm. Then at least we'd have two clueless companies that should have died long ago in the one place.

Maybe they could even call the merged entity "Scum" as an effort to be more relevant to their target audience.

Sorry, it's been a long day, I'll get me coat...

14. the spectacularly refined chap

62 employees

How the company has fallen. I probably used to know that many developers at the "old" SCO. One by one they've all gone. The software is badly dated now because it hasn't been kept up to date for several years. It pains me to say it because I used to really like OpenServer but now it needs a massive investment to update it. When you factor in the continuing Linux onslaught I really don't see how anyone could make any money from it.

15. jake Silver badge

Hands up all who ...

As a 30+ year UN*X veteran, I personally have no interest in anything that Darl McBride has to say ... More important, I personally will never suggest, advocate, or otherwise recommend any product that Darl McBride happens to be hawking. He's burnt his bridges, end of discussion.

Hands up all who disagree with me.

::crickets::

That's what I thought. As you all were, nothing to see here.

16. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Down

So who gave Phorm their £15m lifeline?

I think I can guess at least one of those responsible.

17. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

@Matthew Barker

Darl: "The ship isn't sink.k.k.k.nnnnnnngggggblblbblblblblblblblb........"

18. King Edward I

I said it in the last article...

"We should take off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure!"

How right I was. They've had more comebacks than Michel Jackson!

19. James Pickett

There are no bombs

They're going to need a good PR man. I believe the old Iraqi information minister (Comical Ali) may be looking for work...

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Put them out of their misery

'nuff said

21. j dodson
    Happy

Will the real Daryl McBride stand-up

If the typical cat has nine lives, this Daryl Mc guy must be on the 29th or 39th life...

And if this Daryl Mc guy is a cricket, may all of the folks with wing tip shoes be in the same room.... trying to eradicate the fast moving object on the floor....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like