back to article Rumor mill coughs up $99 4GB iPhone

With less than a week to go before Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference, at which new iPhone - or iPhones - is/are widely expected to be announced, the rumor mill is heating up. And the latest buzz is about a $99 4GB model. But first the traditional caveat: Buzz is merely buzz, rumors are merely rumors, and Apple isn't …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's worth noting that the "Apple iPhone (4GB)" slide

also says quite prominently that the picture of a familiar iPhone 3G does not represent the actual product

2. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Great news

if you are a total pleb.

3. David Eddleman
    Stop

zomg

Now we have to deal with all the Apple fanboys furiously wanking over a new iProduct. Joy.

4. John Molloy

Read the stuff on the screen

@ AC 21:44

Which is what it says on the slide: "Image not actual product" if you had actually bothered reading.

5. David Wilkinson

Actually apple got this one right.

I have no clue what the iphone is like, but I am still having a lot fun with my 1st gen 16 GB ipod touch.

I got 50-60 free games loaded on in 10 of which are actually worth purchasing. I can surf web pages, check my gmail accounts, use google maps, watch you tube, watch converted DVDs, and sometimes I use it to actually play music.

I lot of places have wi-fi now and carrying an ipod touch is less of a hassle than a netbook or a full laptop.

In many ways I'd compare it to the nintendo wii in that its not really impressive on paper, there are more powerful alternatives, but its really really fun to use.

$99 for an iphone wouldn't interest me. I'd be much more likely to switch to an iphone if they offered cheaper plans.

6. Richard Cartledge
    Thumb Up

iPhone

I have an 18 month old gen1 iPhone. It's the best gadget I ever had.

It would take a hell of a lot to even pique my interest in other maker's hand-helds.

7. Jay
    Jobs Horns

3 year contract!

Who in their right mind would sign up for a 3 year contract (which is bound to be on some jumped-up tarrif)? Do people *really* want an iPhone that badly?

8. Kenny Millar
    Flame

@zomg

So, let have a wee look at your comment.

Don't you think there is something you are missing?

Like the fact that Apple actually make great, usable products?

You obviously got a touch of green fever, because /your/ chosen technology supplier doesn't make any decent products. All you have left is to slag off a company that does, and people that appreciate them.

9. Scott Mckenzie
    Stop

iPhone

If you have no interest - WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU READING SUCH ARTICLES!?!?!?

Some people actually are interested, or have used them, own them... whatever.... I have an iPhone, i like it, it's extremely good at doing the things i want it to do, it doesn't do everything but the things it doesn't do, i don't find an issue, it won't suit everyone, but that doesn't make it a bad device, nor does the fact it's made by Apple.

How's about you just all get the fuck over it and move on?

10. David Hicks
    Thumb Down

Uh, why is the capacity so low?

I mean, it's not like flash memory is actually expensive these days. What difference does 4 or 8 or even 16 GB make?

I mean, you can get a 4GB SD card for a fiver, or 8GB for a tenner. Seems shameful to me to limit the capacity so much when it costs so little. But then I suppose they have to differentiate between the "premium" and budget products...

I'll buy one when it comes with a (micro) SDHC slot so it can be expanded. And a reasonably priced one year contract. And a pony.

11. TeeCee Gold badge

Here's how this one goes:

Scene: Apple boardroom.

We're doing great. This iPhone thing's really taken off. We've got a product that every bugger wants and they're prepared to pay whatever vastly inflated price we ask for it. The margins on the thing are fantastic and the phone networks give us a kickback on every one we sell as well. So, any suggestions for how we milk this futher?

We could sell it for 99 dollars!

<pistol shot>

Anyone *else* got any suggestions?

12. Ascylto
    Jobs Halo

@ Scott McKenzie

I, too, have an iPhone and, like yours, it does just what I want it to do, effortlessly and with panache.

Those you address can't get over it! They've been under the bridge for so long they just can't come to terms with Apple. Mostly they just poke fun at Apple users with endearing but sad comments but in reality they can't cope with the success of the iPhone/iPod and their Nokimoto trying to emulate it but two years too late.

Have pity on them.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like