back to article Google puts Chrome tabs on options list

Google has updated its tab feature in Chrome, allowing users of the open source browser to remove web page thumbnails. Previously the option came in default mode. The uncooked software, which is available via Google's preview channel, was given the 2.0.174.0 update yesterday. Google Chrome program manager, Anthony Laforge, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve Anderson

Chrome's not open source

You're thinking of the underlying Chromium project and the WebKit renderer, both of which are open source. Chrome itself is proprietary.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Stuart
    Linux

Linux Next?

Before End of Times?

4. D@v3

Chrome is all well and nice....

...but untill i can use adblock and flash block, im steering clear

5. P. Lee

@neil hanvey

I suspect its there to push the technology forward rather than be a popular browser per se. With process separation, the hilarious flash clip on youtube won't take out that important googledocs/msoffice 10 spreadsheet you were working on, by crashing and taking out the entire browser.

Without ad/flashblock you might not want to use Chrome to browse the web, but you could use it as a client platform for http-delivered "proper" applications. I know, there aren't many good ones, but there's no point writing one if nobody trusts the browser to stay up.

6. Lars Silver badge
    Linux

And the Linux version?

So when will the worlds biggest Linux user provide a version for Linux.

Mind you, I might not convert, but I would give it a try.

7. sage

re: what

It should be called google browserneilhanveydoesntcareabout. Just because you don't use it doesn't mean nobody else does. I'm just assuming that though, considering that I use it everyday myself. And yes, I run it alongside firefox. It's just much, much faster.

And when the hell do we get Chromium up to date on Linux? I tried it, and all I can get working is the mediocre alpha one.

8. Arnold Layne
    Flame

@ sage

"And when the hell do we get Chromium up to date on Linux? I tried it, and all I can get working is the mediocre alpha one"

Arent you supposed to do it yourself? After all the Linux fanbois are always banging on about how wonderful and empowering open source is...

http://code.google.com/chromium/

9. Grozbat
    Thumb Down

No shortcut-shortcut

There's still no keyboard shortcut to get to the bookmark list.

That makes Chrome a no-go as far as I'm concerned.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

whinge whinge...

stop whining you ungrateful gimps. Chrome is probably the best browser available for windows.. whoops ass in speed

11. sage

re: @ sage

"Arent you supposed to do it yourself? After all the Linux fanbois are always banging on about how wonderful and empowering open source is..."

Are Windows users supposed to compile open source apps themselves too? No, but the option is there, and it's a great option to have.

The problem here though, is that the Chromium project is still missing pieces. I would compile it for myself, but it's nowhere near the state of Chrome for Windows. Hence the "And when the hell do we get Chromium up to date on Linux?"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like