back to article IDC: Linux to benefit from recession

Economic turmoil has always driven change (and sometimes innovation) in the data centre, and this global recession will be no different. This time around, like the recession that started in 2001, it looks like Linux is going to be one of the big beneficiaries. That's the prognostication coming out of IDC, anyway, which was …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ray

but why?!

"That way, if customers are tempted to adopt open source development tools, databases, and applications, they can still deploy on a cheapo, barebones version of Windows"

I'm sure this is a Good Idea in Principle but I don't see how it's going to Make Anything Easier or Cheaper. I think you are just using this OPEN SOURCE EXCUSE to satisfy your Lust For Shiny Box. Even a child knows that Anything Worth Having Is Never Free! How stupid do you think I am?

2. Michael
    Happy

@How stupid do you think I am?

...stop failing the turing test!!!!!

3. Camilla Smythe

@Ray

"How stupid do you think I am?"

Welcome to Oith... no-one gives a toss about how stupid you think they think you are. Have you seen the new Cillit Bang(!!) advert? Apparently it has some new sort of 'Adjustable Power' type thing which involves squirting more of it on bigger or tougher stains.

I will leave the rest to your imagination.

4. Paul

Things that are worth having that are free...

...air...

...sex...

...sunshine...

...the clap...

5. IGnatius T Foobar
    Linux

Linux: more value, less waste

In the datacenter it's patently obvious that Linux represents an immense value. More bang for the buck, more efficient use of hardware resources, and no vendor lock-in. Deploying server software on Windows? That's so 20th century.

6. Quirkafleeg
    Linux

Consuming servers

<munch>

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like