back to article Shuttleworth: standards and open source against 'gross' cloud lock-in

Ubuntu founder Mark Shuttleworth has advocated open-source and industry standards as a way to prevent vendor lock-in in the nebulous cloud computing market. Shuttleworth said portability is "key" to helping avoid what he called "really gross lock-in issues". Shuttleworth also deflated some of the cloud hype, saying the phrase …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Greg Fawcett

...or Google Appengine

Google's Appengine is a different type of cloud - a lot higher level, so you don't have to worry about the OS - which is good if you believe Google's sysadmins are better than you, and bad if you want to do low-level tinkering (using any port but http, for instance).

Standardising this would be a very different exercise, requiring standardised APIs rather than standardised machine image management.

We need a finer definition of cloud services - maybe "Cumulus cloud" for low level Amazon-style clouds, and "Cirrus clouds" for high level Appengine-style offerings.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"to make Java run properly on Ubuntu."

Ah - does this explain why an OpenOffice database runs i-n-c-r-e-d-i-b-l-y slowly on my 8.10 laptop (taking about 5 seconds to search 70 records!) but is as snappy as anything on my Linpus Lite Acer Aspire One?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Obligatory title

"He noted we're years away from reaching a final definition of cloud."

Yeah, the outlook remains foggy.

Kudos to Greg Fawcett for the first meteorological pun here.

When I saw "nebulous cloud computing market" my grey jelly obfuscater converted it to "cumulo-nimbus cloud computing market".

And I can't seem to resist a pedant point:

"the phrase "cloud" is being banded about"

Er, isn't it bandied about? Can anyone help me?

4. Tom

And of course the advantage of a Cloud

is you can have an inhouse cloud, do your backups to part of a 'freinds' cloud and vice versa and have all your internal machines as part of your cloud, all users do their work in the cloud and 95% of your system admin goes out the window and no other parasite owns your data.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pedantry upon pedantry

- "the phrase "cloud" is being banded about"

- Er, isn't it bandied about?

Yes it is, and it's also not a phrase, it's a word.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like