back to article Sky taken to task for online promo cock-up

Broadcaster Sky should have made sure its websites could handle the traffic generated by its promotional advertising, and should have made a web offer available on the phone once it ran into problems, the advertising regulator has said. The Advertising Standards Agency (ASA) has upheld complaints against Sky over people's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about forcing sky to issue refunds.

So "Sky [was] taken to task" but what about the £15!! Why didn't ASA ask sky to refund effect customers.

I lost out on this £15 discount when I signed up for SKY HD, back in October.

Has anyone had their money back?

2. Stef

Huh?

Is this the same offer they are running now for £49?

I couldn't access the site on the day of release, so I had to wait 2 whole days to register.

4 whole people complained? Must have been serious.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

"Taken to Task"

Come on, this is the ASA. Not even a smack, just a mild telling off. No one cares about the ASA, it's a toothless, clawless pussy cat paid for by the advertisers. A bit like the FSA. Oh, what a nice comparison... wait a minute, the FSA have handed out large fines !

4. Barno
    Unhappy

Sky and the ASA

The reason that only 4 people complained will be the fact that complaining to the ASA about Sky is a waste of valuable time. I complained a couple of years ago because Sky stated order now and be up and running before Christmas. They were sort of correct but it was Christmas +1. Complained to the ASA, complaint upheld, punishment - ZIP!

The ASA are totally useless I agree and seeing as you get nothing for complaining and no action is taken against Sky - whats the point?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Try harder...

Never take 'no' for an answer. I couldn't get through online for the discount but persuaded the call centre to give me it anyway - OK it took an extra phone call to their 'online' call centre but I still got the discount. Smug? Maybe, but you really shouldn't let them get away with it in the first place, after all the ASA's not going to give you the money back now!

6. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

I don't follow this....

If the offer was only available in shops, and the shops became so overcrowded by demand that they couldn't cope, surely the ASA wouldn't demand it was made available by phone or web? So what's the big deal here?

This topic is closed for new posts.