back to article Judge approves AP's online news copying suit

The Associated Press can proceed with a copyright infringement lawsuit against an online news aggregation service after a federal judge ruled a century-old US Supreme Court ruling applies to the internet. In a ruling issued Tuesday, US District Judge Kevin Castel shot down arguments that the so-called "hot news doctrine" did …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David Wilkinson

attribution is important

Maybe its just me but I don't consider reading something written by the AP ... then rewriting the same information to be journalism.

I think we need more people trying to add useful information and less people simply regurgitating it.

Higher standards for attribution would be nice. Ideally I'd prefer the option to view my news stories to be splattered with foot notes.

Often some fact or statistic will be thrown out there, and everyone is using it but you can't figure out where it came from.

2. kain preacher

Whats worse

Often , the wont print the whole AP article. I've seen Ap articles chopped up and rearrange you think it was two different articles

3. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

plagiarism?

"21st Century news reporting, where journalists and bloggers increasingly borrow, recycle, and quote large sections of articles published by competitors, often with little or no attribution."

I guess plagiarism doesn't apply outside the academic world.... and most certainly not to the web2.0. But to make money off someone else work without even attributing it to them!... now that is adding insult to injury.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

so elreg

which site did you copy this article from and claim it as yours? come on we know you all do it!

oh i know, now you're going to tell me all of your content is original and you're one of the few sites to write all of your own material (except a few cases where the original site is credited), but they all say that!

also, where did you steal the "comments" from? come on i want to know which site you stole my comments from!

- comment originally posted on The Register UK, honest

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like