back to article Amazon expands as etail shrinks

Unlike the average etailer, Amazon actually enjoyed the post-Meltdown holiday season. In the fourth quarter, according to those clever net watchers at comScore, etail spending shrunk for the first time in history. But the grand dame of online shops grew revenue 18 per cent year-over-year, from $5.67bn to $6.7bn. And profits …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

And this is a surprise?

Amazon is about the only place you can go on the web and buy stuff and not feel scammed. The other two places are Craigslist (US only?) and Froogle.

Look what I just bought - it is in my coat pocket!

2. Onionman
    Paris Hilton

This is what they want

Prrof, if needed, that if you offer people the products they want with the level of service they want, your business will grow.

Good on them, they have a superb business model, an easy to use website and good customer service. The only time I had to return something, they never received it, but I still got the refund.

Cue 100 flames pointing out what happened when their Auntie Edna ordered the wrong item from Amazon.

V

Paris gives good service, no doubt.

3. Simon Neill

Amazon Rock

Got all my uni textbooks from amazon, saved me a fortune. Maybe thats why they aren't failing....their primary income is from students?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You have to remember

Amazon traded at a huge lose for many years, it is actually harder to start an ecommerce site and make it a success then if you go the bricks and mortar route. Once in bricks and mortar then going to the web is wise.

Amazon's fortunes turned round when it brokered a deal with Border's Bookstore. Now that Amazon has momentum it should do very well, but it was a gamble at the start and for quite a few years. Most of the big names in ecommerce, started out with a loss and the better ones kept that to one year.

Breaking into ecommerce at the moment is very hard, you need to have the right people on board, with the necessary expertise, experience and the ability to adapt very quickly to market conditions, all of that has to be backed with a sizeable chunk of change, and at the moment we all know money is too tight to mention.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Amazon - worse than Nike

Just discovered something called Amazon Turks, jeez this is something like out of one of those sci-fi dystopian futures. All those descriptions of nice shiny things in the internet shopping mall were created by an army of slave wage labour toiling away for a real pittance in the virtual world, feeding the monster that has become online trading.

The current banking crisis was caused by global bankers having no responsibilities and no accountabilities.

This is worse, a huge number of isolated workers with no representation and no rights have been enslaved by the machine.

This is an outrageous use of what is supposed to be an enabling technology, it seems to me to only be enabling the superrich corporations to make even more obscene profits for their fat cat directors and shareholders.

If I need a book I'll go to my library (where they pay at least minimum wage)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021