back to article Mitsubishi to unveil i MiEV Sport Air at Geneva Motor Show

Mitsubishi has dusted off its i MiEV Sport concept for the upcoming Geneva Motor Show and called it the i MiEV Sport Air. Out to impress fans of Apple's skinny laptop, perhaps? Mitsubishi i MiEV Sport Air Mitsubishi's i MiEV Sport Air: concept today, reality in March Whatever, something very similar was shown at the Tokyo …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. wim

sport ?

80 mph = sport ?

2. Anton Ivanov

Re: sport?

0-30? 0-60? If it leaves your 300bhp BMW disappearing in the rear view mirror in a manner similar to the way the old Sirion R2 or the Lexus Coupe does it is sport indeed. Urban sport, but sport none the less.

It looks distinctly Citroenish. I would not be surprised if the exterior design was French from the very beginning. It will be interesting how Toyota reacts to that as the PSV small cars are currently assembled on their joint venture plant.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Sports Car?

Slow, Heavy, looks unbalanced......

Is this the new Fiesta Sport of the 80's?

4. Shaun

Mmmmmmmmm.............................

A slow, impractical car that looks like a Micra. Have I left anything out - Oh yeah - they're sticking a fraking French badge on it too..........

I can't think of anything more appealing.

And seriously - Lithium Batteries? On a concept car? Where's the fuel cell?

5. Adam Foxton
    Thumb Up

@wim

Sport = 80mph. It can overtake a Ferrari, so long as the Ferrari is sticking to the speed limit. And overtaking a Ferrari is clearly something that means "sport".

Or it could have surprisingly good handling, making it nipper round a shopping center than some baddies in a black Corvette.

Five-and-a-bit hour from-flat recharge time from a standard 230V, 13A mains socket means it's an overnighter (or plug it in at work for those with a longer commute), but this could be a breakthrough for electric cars- it's actually being made, and it's a "proper" production car. Which means it'll be far less expensive than the Tesla. Seems perfect for the majority of the city-dwelling populace so long as they can keep the pricing just about in-line with the petrol models (perhaps pointing out lower insurance, road tax, energy prices and maintainance prices as a way to offset the increased cost).

6. Pete James

@ Adam Foxton

"Or it could have surprisingly good handling, making it nipper round a shopping center than some baddies in a black Corvette."

And you can have the prize of a romantic candle-lit supper with Alun Taylor if you can guess correctly the name of the shopping arcade. You would be all-knowing if you get it right. That was a clue by the way. ;)

The development time isn't so surprising when you consider that Mitusbishi have been on the case of electric power for some time now. They also had a slightly unusual approach to development and testing; basically there wasn't any. Draw it, build it, sell it. I'm not joking either. When the Daimler-Chrysler combine began their ill-fated partnership with Mitsubishi they got to hear about this from a casual reply made about prototypes. Predictably, D-C were gobsmacked.

But with all the utter dross from snake-oil salesmen with their silly dreamcars that will never happen this is at least something tangible, as Adam pointed out. So kudos to Mitsubishi for that.

7. Doug Southworth
    Thumb Down

To quote Jeremy Clarkson

"It is uglier than a war wound"

8. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

In wheel Motors...

I cant understand why no-one has gone down the in wheel motor technique. its efficent cuts down the mechanicals, and enables easy KER.

Yes I want one of them PML Mini QED's!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

If this kind of tecnology really worked

Then by now I could buy a kit car slap on some hub motors, put a battery where the engine/fuel tank should be and drive off into the sunset for less then it costs to buy a conventional car. OR do the same thing to a motorbike for even less. Hell people would be selling kits to turn your knackered Gas guzzler into a EV.

But I can't so I am incline to think that this is all a load of......... coat please.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like