back to article Microsoft ad campaign urges more IT spending

Microsoft has joined Dell by asking customers to continue paying them during the recession rather than slash spending on IT. The company is spending a reported $150m on an ad campaign that updates its three-year-old "people ready business" message with the "it's everybody's business" slogan. Microsoft called its television, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Advertising

advertising... advertising... fix Vista... advertising... advertising...

2. Martin Silver badge
    Coat

What about the poor workers?

Surely if their new systems are so much more efficient with lower TCO then there will be millions of BOFHs thrown out on the street. This is not something society can risk - much better to switch back to VMS or MVS now with it's constant demand for updates and maintenance.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Go

C'mon now, be serious

If MS and Dell rolled forward release of working kit running W7 that might be a better proposition and more realistic from purchasers perspective.

The IT market, in the main, is not naive and if there is a smell in the air of something better a few months down the road ... well, guess what? (What? No free upgrade path from Vista to W7?)

Plus additionality of having a newer (and better) OS & kit suggests to me a good wait might be a more realistic approach from purchasers perspective.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Addendum

Maybe?

Dell and MS are please to announce "Get acquainted with W7".

Any Vista based kit purchased before <enter date here - preferably prior 8 January 2009 :) > will qualify for a free upgrade to W7 when it is released?

5. Ascylto

@ Addendum

"Any Vista based kit purchased before <enter date here - preferably prior 8 January 2009 :) > will qualify for a free upgrade to W7 when it is released?"

Addendum II

And will also qualify for a free upgrade when we discover the upgrade to W7(aka Vista Revisited) doesn't work or breaks our other programs.

Repeat ad infinitem.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

@@Addendum

i think your message will get changed slightly - should read 'Any Vista based kit purchased before <enter date here - preferably prior 8 January 2009 :)' has no chance of running the next round of windoze bloatware, they are too low spec.

dont say windoze 7 is fast etc etc. i have tried the beta in a VM, XP in the VM runs almost native speed, Windoze 7 puffs and pants along at no speed, on a machine that is WELL over the min spec.

Paris - just because winTards believe what redmond say

7. Martyn Phillips

Is it time to begin considering the alternatives?

Once again, it is interesting to see major suppliers urging us to continue spending on 'updated hardware to run the latest and greatest software' regardless of the business benefit, whilst at the same time the worlds business leaders (including many of those major organisations) look to find and implement cost cutting measures.

My question is this - When is the worlds business going to wake up and being to invest in more cost effective technologies that enable systems to be built that support the business rather than the other way round. Furthermore, when is the media going to begin exploring some of these more economical alternatives to better inform their readers?

For over 30 years, companies like Revelation have used true MultiValue technologies to deliver such systems. Through OpenInsight we are able to deliver million pound systems to organisations for a tenth of the cost and our VARs (Value Added Resellers) usually only need to hire a fraction of the developers that many other technologies need, although I prefer to evangelise the notion of hiring the same number of people to do more for clients, push the boundaries of the solutions more and maintain a competitive edge.

In my honest opinion, I believe that maintaining a competitive edge will see many companies in hotly contested markets win through the global recession.

8. N

AC u beat me to it - needs repeating

Advertising, advertising, advertising, Fix Vista ...

As for MS to provide a 'free' upgrade to Windows 7 - I think hell will freeze over before that happens, perhaps if you bought Vista ultimate, extended crapware edition retail box for about £400 then maybe.

Otherwise it will be TS.

9. Geoff Gomez

Life without walls

I wonder if Crispin Porter + Bogusky were the same ad. agency that came up with Microsoft's new slogan "Life without walls". Am I the only person who can't see why you'd want windows if you had no walls? Genius.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like