back to article Mattel demos thought-controlled game

Click here to view a more bandwidth-friendly version of the video Can't see the video? Download Flash Player from Adobe.com More CES Video Reports... 3M shines light on next-gen micro-projector tech D-Link demos double-up display for netbooks, laptops Samsung boffins demo transparent OLED screen In action: the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"These are not the droids you're looking for..."

Cool game for budding Jedi! I wonder if I can get this to control a shock collar attached to Kim Jong Il?

Concentrate...concentrate....zzap! Perfect! :)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't touch that dial

yes, that made it a little less cool when he did that.

So, beta waves can be used, quite interesting. There will be people popping sedatives and uppers to get the variation, or inducing states of rapid cycling bipolar activity brilliant.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

humm....

I really don't think this is a good thing. It's too much of a blunt instrument.

Basically, imagine if you exercised by tensing all your muscles at the same time -- you would pull a muscle quickly enough, and you'd put a lot of pressure on your joints. Worse, you train yourself into this pattern, and you start to carry out everyday tasks in an ever tenser state.

I see this "game" as analogous -- the thought is undirected. You'll end up training-in patterns of undirected, excessive, overconscious thought which will interfere with natural brain function.

Bad News.

4. Adrian Jackson

Ooh, futuristic!

And how exactly is this different from the similar control device that Mike Cook provided instructions for building for the BBC Micro in a 1980s issue of Micro User?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This has been around for years - literally

This Tech is old hat - so mattel have repackaged it? Big "Who cares" over here - you could at least give credit to the origins...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Fantastic camera work...

At least he didn't look like a complete loser wearing the headset (which he puts on his head apparently)

Oh - wait a minute.......

7. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Short Lived Gameplay

Considering most Yoof and children (appear to) have an attention span between 1 and 5 minutes, I don't see this going very far.

8. Sam Liddicott

and I saw his lips move

I suppose the brainwaves control the nerves which control the hand which turns the dial...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Works with Blondes as well !

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7822293.stm

10. Ramon Casha
    Pirate

Brilliant! No more need to move at all

Just what everyone needs - computer games that don't even require you to move your thumbs. Now you can literally sit still and only occasionally blink your eyes. That eliminates the danger of accidentally exercising your digits.

This topic is closed for new posts.