back to article Norway's national broadcaster breaks Beatles download deadlock

A Norwegian broadcaster is claiming to be responsible for making The Beatles' entire back catalogue available for download for the first time. The downloads are free because they form part of Norwegian Broadcasting (NRK) podcasts. The Beatles is one of the few bands that has held out from licensing its music for digital …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Well that didnt last long.....

Taken down already :-(

2. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Pulled already

http://nrk.no/programmer/radio/norgesglasset/beatles/1.6391734

Bugger!!!!!!!

3. V
    Thumb Down

Sadly been pulled.

Sodding lawyers. First up against the wall and all that...

4. Andrew Katz

Not, apparently

I gather they are already removed, owing to a misunderstanding over the licence the broadcaster thought it was getting.

5. Emo

Read earlier online somewhere,

that the agreement is only for music broadcast in 2007 that they can give away free..

6. Mark

Speech throughout the podcast?

Easy peasy.

Multi-track. Two channels for the music and a rear channel (that isn't demuxed into the stereo stream) for some wittering on.

Look, the artists are making shitloads of cash from the music teachers' work in teaching them how to play instruments. Yet the teacher gets NOTHING from it! PIRACY!!!

The recordings were done by especially skilled recording engineers. These engineers took the tracks and made the music gel together and ensured that the mix didn't drown out what was on another mic. Fixed any errors if they could be corrected and worked out what needed redoing to make the album.

And for this, they get a pittance. How are their families going to cope when they aren't recording engineers any more? Well, the artist is still making money from the album, much of the creative work in that album was from the engineers. So they should get royalties too. They don't, though. PIRACY!!!!

I mean, how are sound recording engineers and teachers supposed to survive when the benefits of their labours are exploited by others and they never see a red cent from it????

PIRACY!!!!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There is no download deadlock

Just a payment deadlock, a problem of their own creation that the internet has largely ignored.

8. Niall Campbell
    Flame

I thought the rights to all Beatles songs...

... were bought by Michael Jackson so the Rutles (sorry Beatles) have no say at all in what is done with them.

Personally, I'm glad they have been blocked, could we also have a ban on their cd's and vinyl evr being played again. Load of old rubbish.

I'll be trouble for slagging off such 'gods'

9. jim
    Coat

(this bird has flown)

Only a Norwegian would think of that.

Mines the one with the bag of walrus treats in the pocket.

10. system

Maybe they should...

...ask google for help.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/31/chris_castle_google_books_and_beyond/

11. jim

@niall Campbell

Michael bought all the publishing rights i think, airplay royalties still go to Paul and Ringo as far as i can recall.

12. blackworx
    Stop

The Beatles

Just a band

13. Mark

re: The Beatles

Don't you mean "Popular beat combo"?

Now where was that from? Some sitcom somewhere. AbFab?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Maybe the Norwegians can negotiate with...

Maybe they can do a deal with Liam and Noel instead. Obviously it won't be as good as the real thing, for that you need the Rutles.

Either way, all you need is cash.

As for recording engineers: judging by many "live" performances I saw on TV over christmas vs their commercially-released chart equivalents, there are still plenty of competent engineers/producers around able to use electrickery in the recording studio to hide their artistes lack of ability to actually sing in tune (usually it's the singing ones?). Maybe the engineers need to withdraw their services for a bit, so their paymasters can better appreciate their "added value"?

15. R Callan
    Joke

Norwegian

Wood (This Bird Has Flown).

16. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Beatles

Bow before your own Gods!

17. system

RE: Maybe the Norwegians can negotiate with...

"there are still plenty of competent engineers/producers around able to use electrickery in the recording studio to hide their artistes lack of ability to actually sing in tune"

Hell, they don't even need to be able to stand upright judging by recent ads I've seen for "live" concerts by Lynard Skynard and the Rat Pack.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No podcast, but download is possible

Hey Vulture Central, these files can still be downloaded! A Dutch radio station discovered that although the podcast is offline, the mp3 files behind it are still there. They figured out the paths to these files and posted links, on

http://blogs.fd.nl/crumbs/2009/01/internet-vand-2.html

Whoever gets there first will have a successful download. ;-)

Please report when they really switch it off.

This topic is closed for new posts.