back to article Samsung digital picture frame CD infected by virus

Christmas gifts of Samsung Digital Picture frames could come with the unwelcome gift of malware, Amazon has warned. The online retailer cautioned that versions of Samsung's SPF-85H 8-Inch digital photo frame product came with an installer disc contaminated with the Sality worm. The disc is needed to use the kit as a USB …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A title is required

I wouldn't have thought many people would want to use a photo frame as a monitor, but then a lot of users install every CD that comes their way.

2. Ian Ferguson
    Paris Hilton

Why a CD?

I'm always confused as to why USB devices need an installation CD. Why can't the driver be written to the device? Possibly as part of the firmware? There should be some kind of standard for this - it would certainly help with packaging.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

@A title is required

What would using it as a monitor have to do with anything? I doubt you even could. And it's possible that a machine could be infected by just plugging the photo frame into a USB port, if the filesystem on the unit contained malware and an "autorun.inf" file. IMHO, one of the biggest security risks (and annoyances as well) with Windows is how it wants to run files off anything you attach.

4. DJ
    Thumb Down

@Ian Ferguson

There is , and it's a pain in the arse for anyone that isn't using windows. My new 3G+ usb key comes as a flip flop usb drive, one as storage key for installing the software and then it flips to USB modem.. except it only works on windows and then not very well.

5. Joe Drunk
    Gates Horns

Quality Control? is that some new buzzword?

@AC:

"What would using it as a monitor have to do with anything? I doubt you even could. And it's possible that a machine could be infected by just plugging the photo frame into a USB port, if the filesystem on the unit contained malware and an "autorun.inf" file. IMHO, one of the biggest security risks (and annoyances as well) with Windows is how it wants to run files off anything you attach."

This feature, which I find annoying can be easily turned off. It's on by default for noobs, which unfortunately consists of the majority of PC users, which subsequently consists of the majority of bot-net members and malware downloaders.

I doubt that any noob would have any idea about how a second 8 inch monitor on their PC would be beneficial but the fact remains that Samsung should have done some quality control on what software was being shipped with the final product. Most of these drivers are written by third parties anyway so although I doubt Samsung has any real control over the development process their acceptance indicates no testing was done on the CD being shipped with the hardware. Very sloppy but I expect we will see more malware loaded in PC devices until large class-action lawsuit against one of these companies results in a multi-million dollar settlement. Only then will the knee-jerk reaction to proactively inspect prior to shipment take place.

6. Nuno trancoso

Not just them...

"...until large class-action lawsuit against one of these companies results in a multi-million dollar settlement."

Think some should fly MS's way too. After all, it WAS their poor judgment that made Windows behave in that dumbfscked way from the start....

And yes, quite easy to turn off, and lock down to "off state forever". Been in my "Post install ToDo's" list ever since it existed....

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nothing new here

Many years ago I bought an Epson computer that had all sorts of issues. Digging around I found it came pre installed with a boot sector virus. Several calls to Epson later finally revealed someone who would admit to the problem. Their solution was to send out free copies of what ever the latest and greatest anti virus software was at the time. They also helpfully revealed that someone had gotten their Imaging server infected with said virus. The moral of the story being, be careful and make at least a tertiary scan of anything you install on your computer.

8. Efros
    Paris Hilton

Never Mind the CD

I got my wife and two Step daughters digital frames this year, when I went to preload their inbuilt flash memory Ubuntu tells me that there is an executable trying to autorun, I check it out and it turns out to be CN911.exe, present on all three. CN911.exe is a trojan with backdoor capabilities. Made in China, the frames are marketed under the Tao name in the US, I wonder how many zombies have been harvested this christmas.

Efros

Paris cos she knows all about back doors.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like