back to article 'UK workers bear brunt of global HP job losses': Unite

Unite has hit out at Hewlett-Packard for making more job cuts in Britain - mostly among its EDS staff - than anywhere else in Europe. The UK’s largest union said yesterday that HP’s decision to axe a quarter of its British staff following the takeover of the IT services firm in August was a mistake. "This should be a merger …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thats coz they can't lay people off else where... YET

All the initial layoffs in Europe will be in the UK because they can.

In other European countries they can't lay anyone off till they've gone through a couple of years worth of negotiations in the Unions. If previous rounds of HP blood letting are anything to go by, once all the hoops have been jumped through the layoffs the other side of the channel will make Agincourt look like a teddy bears picnic.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Improve quality

Presumably this is being done to slow down the rate at which EDS can loose Governmemts money by delivering overpriced applications that are legacy before they go live. Sounds like a good idea to me. It would also slow down their ability to loose sensitive MoD data.

Sounds like a bloody good plan to me.

Minds the one with the hard-drive containing half the armed forces personnel data in the pocket.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Staff cuts

Information I have heard on the EDS grapevine is that there are plans to cut much more than 7% within the next year or so. It could be as high as 20% globally.

Makes me even less proud (not that I ever was) to work for EDS - an HP company [ick]

4. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Smut

They will just get rid of the employees by other means by planting smut on there home drives.... and I'm not kidding!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Growth?

Haven't the unions heard the economy is well and truly fucked. All American companies are all going into chopping mode whilst the Europeans stick their heads in the sand and hope for the best. When the recovery comes guess where the jobs wont be created, thats right, in Europe since companies will factor the cost of getting rid of people into the investment equation.

6. Gulfie
    Flame

@AC's in general, in particular, Smut

Get a life, please.

The majority of EDS staff were, are, hard working and conscientious and let down by poor management and under-priced contracts. I spent several years working on Government contracts as an EDS employee and frequently there just was not the money available to do the job properly. Very frustrating.

Read any comments on the register relating to government contracts - not just those held by EDS - and you'll find a common thread...

BTW I'm still working on Government contracts, but not as an EDS employee, and things are no better here...

7. Ascylto
    Paris Hilton

Shame!

Does this mean EDS will make fewer cock-ups in UK Government IT?

Let's face it, they've led a charmed life up to now. One EDS employee said to me, "There are still loads of government IT projects for us to make a mess of."

Personally, I'd have sacked them after their first debacle. It makes one think there might be some 'kick-backs' somewhere ... Gods forfend this be true!

Paris, 'coz she knows how to blow a good IT project.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

To be fair

they are fucking shit though.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Good

MOD, Tax credits, Child Support Agency, MOD again, BSkyB... what a litany of failure. They're Just an extension of the civil service job creation scheme. Parasites.

Taxpayer screwed to boot. Now they know how it feels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Data_Systems#Controversy

10. Papa Smurth...
    Thumb Down

morale = rock bottom

yeah, and people wonder why morale with EDS uk is at rock bottom...everyone I know just can't be bothered anymore - in the last year we've had the threat of volentary redundancy hanging over our heads and now this...

most of us don't even know if we'll have a job at xmas....

This topic is closed for new posts.