back to article Cocaine addicted IT manager hacks ex-employer's mail servers

An IT manager was sentenced to a year and a day in prison for hacking into his former employer's computer system and opening its mail server to the public. Steven Barnes of Mill Valley, California was sentenced on computer intrusion charges against the streaming media firm Blue Falcon Networks, now known as Akimbo Systems. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Legs Akimbo

Opened the mailserver.

Company now called "Akimbo"

You couldn't make it up really.

2. adnim

Hacked?

"To my complete disbelief, I soon realized they did move their servers and they had no firewall and the passwords were not even changed!"

Seems like he simply accessed the servers.

'Cocaine addicted IT manager accesses ex-employer's mail servers'. There ya go a more accurate/truthful headline, although not quite so sensational ;-)

3. Tezfair
    Pirate

Hmmmmm

If he deleted the core files that makes exchange run, then how could it relay?.

I can't believe no one adopted the system and locked it down.

The pirate icon, because I don't see it very often :)

4. Luke Bearl
    Stop

Six Dollars?

What is with the legal system spewing out such weird numbers?He agreed to pay $54,006... why not just $54,000? Does six dollars really make that much of a difference?

5. Mathew White
    Joke

Drugs?

Surely the drug cocktail he took would improve ones ability to cope with the job of being an IT manager?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

<title usually goes here>

Sounds like a 2-bit company anyway.

7. TeeCee Gold badge
    Alert

Re: Hmmmmm

I read that as the boot files in the article. i.e. "You think you're f***ed now, but wait 'til you try to reboot the thing after reconfiguring it, you'll be properly f***ed then.".

8. Mudslinger

A year and a day sentence

To be served in January???????????????????????????

WTF?

9. Mart
    Pirate

@Six Dollars?

Yeah and whats up with 'An IT manager was sentenced to a year and a day in prison' why the extra day? is a year not enough to teach a man a lesson?

- pirate for Tezfair as he doesn't get to see it often :)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The naughty drugs tend to work well for IT

it is when they come off them that it is a problem.

Sometimes, I wonder if IT would be happy with its own country, sure we would have to ship in the girls, but it would be quite a cool place, most in IT are laissez faire tending to meritocracy, but there is a underlying compassion for those interested in the art.

We could automate most things quite quickly, standing army of robots, hydroponics for dense food cultivation, a fair open banking system, new legal structure that only cares if there is a victim, open democracy etc etc. I am not sure really what the rest of society has to offer people in IT, I certainly don't see too much coming from them, apart from moans and groans.

11. Steve
    Dead Vulture

proof reading

"Barnes worked there as an IT manager between September 2002 until he was fired on April 2003."

Where are the sub eds, they clearly need beating with that baseball bat to have allowed the above sentence through. "between ... until... on April" Gibberish.

12. Seán

Phew

I thought they were on to me for a second.

13. Inachu
    Dead Vulture

a waste

its a waste that both sides did wrong.

Anytime someone gets fired in the higher area of admin the entire companies server passwords must be changed. Matter of policy is not to trust anyone.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like