back to article Motorola's navel gazing Android delayed

Motorola's first Android-based phone won't arrive in the US until the second quarter of next year. Europe will have to wait until the third quarter. To compensate, the company's going for a novelty twofer. What's more fatuously chic than yet another touch screen smartphone? Social networking, naturally. Motorola is spending $ …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tuomo Stauffer
    Pirate

What were you waiting?

Having 50 developers and trying to hire 300 more for Android they need that time to find a cubicle for each developer? Seriously - Motorola is a good hardware company but any time it comes to software, they are lost! They still think that headcount is the most important thing in software development and, of course, Six Sigma, etc. So - they will deliver but it takes time.

2. Antidisestablishmentarianist

They still make phones?

...and soon in combination with Android?

Epic Fail.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Why not do the obvious?

Why doesn't Motorola do the obvious? Software and more importantly user interface has been the weak spot of Motorola for ages. They went for Symbian, then they went for Linux and Windows Mobile and now Android. What Motorola has never done is to stick up with what they got and what works.

If I would be an executive in Motorola, I would settle to Symbian and S60, use it in all smart phones, tailor and tweak icons, bundle some applications like Fring and throw the mobile with 10 different brothers and sisters of it to consumers... If it works for Nokia it should work with Motorola, but that would be too rational and efficient for them...

Burial stone as they really do deserve to go bankrupt for missing self-evident opportunities for decades.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@Anonymous Coward

"If I would be an executive in Motorola, I would settle to Symbian and S60, use it in all smart phones, tailor and tweak icons, bundle some applications like Fring and throw the mobile with 10 different brothers and sisters of it to consumers... If it works for Nokia it should work with Motorola, but that would be too rational and efficient for them..."

Alternatively you could buy a small company with an existing demonstrated competence in producing Symbian OS based Smartphones which has fallen on hard times as a result of a well publicised falling out with Microsoft, invest heavily in them, allow them to work outside the process-heavy, innovation stifling environment the Big M normally does development in, and let them produce a Symbian OS based platform (UIQ based as it happens but that's neither her nor there in these days of touchless UIQ and touch sensitive S60...) which could form the base for a whole generation of products, tailor and tweak the icons, bundle some neat multimedia applications, and launch one or two quite nice products.

Oh, wait a minute that sounds like a sensible strategy. Far better to let existing Motorola product development teams tear the platform (which they've previously either ignored or worked hard at undermining) apart in a feeding frenzy as all and sundry try to establish themselves as stakeholders, shut down the development site you've just spent all that money on, make a significant proportion of the highly talented engineering team you originally bought Sendo^X^X^X^X^Xthe site for redundant, totally demoralise the rest of them and then congratulate selfs on a job well done.

Anonymous, because, well, you never know, one day I may just possibly need the money badly enough that I'd consider taking a contract with Motorola again...

5. Tom Chiverton

Late to the US ?

Who cares if it's late to the US ? When will it be in the UK ?

The US is so backwards people are surprised by washer dryers, mobile phone number porting and Windows smart phones (I'm looking at you, Sony Ericcson).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like