back to article Dell bundles free fresh air with PC

Hot on the heels of Dell's tempting Windows XP offer, giving customers the chance to avoid Vista for a mere £44k, we're delighted to announce that not having anti-virus protection will cost you absolutely nothing. Dell's tempting no anti-virus included in price offer Yup, Dell has rather generously decided to include a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Toastan Buttar
    Linux

I would PAY not to have that crap on my machine.

So not having it for free (as in beer) is a bargain !

Tux, cos he's free (as in beer), too.

2. TeeCee Gold badge
    Happy

Follow up.

I look forward to the follow up article documenting the exchange of fire with Dell when he sends the 1 cent's worth of sod-all he receives back for a refund.

3. Ozbon
    Paris Hilton

Norton!=Safe

Surely the machine's better off without Norton anyway? (Although I'm willing to bet that it's still installed, just with the 30 day trial instead of full licence)

Paris, as she knows how to get most viruses (virii?)

4. Richy Freeway
    Thumb Up

Good!

Norton Internet Security is a festering pile of turd. It slows computers down and isn't even that effective at stopping nasties getting in.

5. A J Stiles
    Paris Hilton

Sounds good value

Dell are the ones who sell Ubuntu pre-installed on PCs, aren't they? Which is fairly well immune to viruses by design, as it requires the user's explicit consent to run executables rather than merely assuming that (a) everything should be executable and (b) if no program is listed as an editor / player / interpreter for that kind of file (judging by the extension) then the file itself is the program.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So it's basically a case of...

...give us money or the computer gets it???

7. Craig

As of last year

Dell included a cheapo few month version of McAffee at no extra cost. The antispam works well enough it seems, but I'm not impressed overall. This was when I chose no antivirus.

Nod 32 all the way.

8. michael

as said on the last dell sotry

amoung the non bugged options are

First Boot Device

Boot to Hard Drive [add £3.00]

Boot to USB [add £3.00]

Boot to Optical Device [add £3.00]

Boot to NIC [add £3.00]

Custom Partition - 50/50 Split [add £11.00]

Outlook Express Remove [£3.00]

Games Remove [£3.00]

Legacy Communications Remove (Chat, Dialer, Hyperterminal, Sound Recorder and Windows Messenger) [£3.00]

Dell Wallpaper Remove (black)

Disable Wireless Access [£3.00]

Disable Modem [£3.00]

Disable USB Ports [£3.00]

9. Dale

@A J Stiles

I remember when Macs were considered "immune" to viruses. Not any more. That's dangerous thinking, assuming anything is immune to viruses. The majority of malware exploits bugs in the software, and nothing is immune to a software developer making a mistake.

10. Anonymous John
    Happy

Which reminds me.

I got an email from www.amazon.co.uk last week to say that they had overcharged me by 1p, which was being refunded.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

troll

This story is a complete troll post.

The price the troll moans about is shown for a system without norton. Of course it costs nothing EXTRA.

The 0.01 euro price he moans about is not for "fresh air", it is for a 30 day trial of McAfee.

And I don't even speak Spanish.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

@Ozbon

the plural of virus is in fact viruses... a simple wikipedia lookup will tell you that if you really want to know (although I can't be bothered to do so at the moment).

Something to do with the origins of the word determining the plurality I think.

13. Simon
    Flame

@Alan

Zero troll content, sorry. Translation of the first two options on the screenshot for you:

( ) Without antivirus protection [included in the price]

( ) Without antivirus protection - Spanish [add €0.01]

( ) MacAfee - 30 day trial - Spanish [add €0.01]

You're right about one thing though, "And I don't even speak Spanish."

14. Tonto Popaduopolos

@ A.C at 11.06

Ozbon

I'm with you it is definitely virii....... a simple wikipedia lookup will tell A.C what irony or humour is if he/she really wants to know (although I can't be bothered to do so at the moment).

Something to do with word play I think.

Oops there goes another rib!

15. Gordon Fecyk
    Go

I feel like I'm in good company here

"I would PAY not to have that [anti-virus] crap on my machine."

"Norton Internet Security is a festering pile of turd. It slows computers down and isn't even that effective at stopping nasties getting in."

"Surely the machine's better off without Norton anyway?"

"I remember when Macs were considered "immune" to viruses. Not any more."

When did El Reg commentators get clues handed out to 'em? I must've missed that offer. Or is it another option you can buy from Dell for 0.01 euros?

16. Mr Floppy

@ A.C at 11.06

> I'm with you it is definitely virii

well I dont know what it is but if you follow singular and plural rules then it should be

viri

for example

cactus -> cacti and not cactii

17. Elrond Hubbard
    Paris Hilton

virii's

If we keep on using virii eventually the OED will admit defeat and include it in the dictionary. Then we will have won and you can no longer cite 'neuter nouns' and greek non plurals and masculine forms and all that crap bwaa ha haa.

I am l33t give me warez. Mouses of the world unite and kill all da Catz

I wonder where my tongue is. Oh! here it is firmly stuck in cheek!!

18. Mart
    Unhappy

Broken link

your link to a 'really big box' is broken :(

19. BioTube
    Stop

Virii

There is no Latin plural for 'virus'(therefore, using native English pluralization(ie 'viruses') is correct). In Latin, the word means "poison", which is uncountable(and therefore unpluralizable). 'Viri' is the plural form of the Latin for "man"(vir), while 'virii' is a complete misunderstanding of Latin.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like