back to article Quantum theme debuts on Radio 1

The Jack White and Alicia Keys theme for forthcoming Bond outing Quantum of Solace this morning enjoyed its first airplay on Jo Whiley's Radio 1 show. The Beeb describes Another Way To Die as "driven by White's trademark fuzzy guitar riffs and thunderous drum rolls" and featuring the lines "Another blinger with the slick …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Stuart
    Thumb Down

Nooo

It's awful, I hope they change it, as I said on BBC Site it sounds like it was written by a 4 year old, maybe its just a poor section of it but for me if not they have to change it.

2. Alex
    Paris Hilton

Hmmm

I'm not sure about this one...

I would have prefered the Boozy Strumpet to sing it as she can belt out a Dame Basset number with ease.. as long as she isn't wide-eyed and slurring her words.

.... still fit, in a burlesque sort of way... well.. I say burlesque....

What about Paris??

3. Joseph Bryant

Too late

Adam & Joe (BBC6) already made the best possible Quantum of Solace theme, featuring the immortal lyrics:

"I want a Quantum of Solace,

But no more than a quantum.

I know they do big bags of solace,

but I don't want'em"

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

I don't like Bond but...

...I look forward to hearing what the song's going to be like. However, this one's shite.

5. Sampler
    Boffin

Bit rate?

The quality of the audio on the Beeb is shocking! I couldn't listen to more than a few seconds of it so will have to wait to hear how poor the content is too...

6. Stuart Harrison

@ Joseph

"I only want a teeny tiny bit of solace,

Before I shoot you"

To me, that :is: the Quantum of Solace theme.

7. A. Coatsworth Silver badge
    Joke

@Joseph

Nah... A Reg commenter wrote the best lyrics for the theme, when they first announced the title of the movie back in January... Here they are thanks to the magic of the Related Stories links :

*waahhnnyyahnaahh* He's got a quantum of solace *wahhhnyyaaahnaahhh* And a googleplex of sanctimony *wwwaaahhhnyyaaahhhnaaah* He'll aspirate your apathy *wwwaaahhhnyyyaannaaah* With anaerobic dialysis *waaahhnnyyyaaanaahhh*

...pure class!

8. iamzippy
    Coat

I Am The Walrus?

Remix? That's what I initially thought I was hearing, with Ringo on drums.

It's pants. Unlike I Am The Walrus, which rocks.

Alicia Keys though, ummmmmm, ooh-er.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bl00dy Aweful

No Class, little consideration to the enormity of the undertaking.

Barbara Broccoli, what made you agree to this being OK'd?

Heck. What is this world coming to...

I trust that this only features once in the movie, otherwise it'll be a spoiler for me.

10. IR
    Unhappy

I'll wait

Is there a version that hasn't been compressed to hell, so it doesn't sound like a man is shouting in the toilet and stamping on the floor? I like most things that Jack White has done, but I can barely distinguish between the guitars and the drums - it's just a booming sound. I'll wait until I can actually hear the song before I judge it, rather than whine about it being crap based on what might aswell have been a guy down the pub singing it.

Why does everyone think that a Bond theme has to be Shirley Bassey? Only a third of them have been anywhere near that, but every time a new one comes out everyone says "It doesn't sound like a Bond theme". Play the first 40 seconds of Live and Let Die, A View to a Kill, Die Another Day, etc and tell me any of those sound like a Bond theme.

The last Bond film wasn't like a usual Bond film, in that it wasn't predicatable and a bit crappy. Let's hope this new one is also atypical.

11. Stevie

Oh Cripes

Not another rock'n'rolly theme song? Haven't the producers learned anything from the old Bond movies?

Ballads sung by women = timeless, movie generally seen as cream of crop (Moonraker being the exception that proves the rule)

Ballads sung by men = a bit less timeless, movie seen as Gold Top that the blue tits have had a go at

Rock anthem exploring range of instruments involved and pushing skills of performers to the max = forgettable rubbish, movie seen as tat.

You want the new Bond movie to rake it in for years? Shirley Bassey, Carly Simon or Matt Munroe.

And get rid of that daft woman who's doing "M" these days.

12. Colin Barrow

Full Version

You can hear the full version on the official site at:

http://www.thirdmanrecords.com/

13. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Ghetto Fabulous

"I'm gonna get me a quantum

in my tummy-tum-tum

tum tummy-tum-tum

oh yeah"

14. Law
    Paris Hilton

oh the humanity!!

*in the style of the song*

Lines with slick trigger finger,

and anything with blinger,

Surely is a minger.

See, improved already.

Paris - because unfortunately she could have done a better job... maybe she can do the naked dancing in the intro-montage and make the song bearable in the cinema! :)

15. Steve Scott

They got the wrong colour

They should have had Jack Black doing the theme, not Jack White.... hip-hop and Bond just don't go.

This topic is closed for new posts.