back to article Applet accelerating Java update M.I.A.

Sun Microsystems planned to push out a significant update to Java today, but a last-minute snag has made its date of arrival uncertain. A Sun spokeswoman told us a problem was discovered during final testing of the release candidate of Java Standard Edition 6 Update 10. However, the company would not specify the problem or its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Lovely!...

...just lovely! :)

2. Henry Wertz Gold badge

Arggggghhh!

I use Ubuntu so I don't suffer from them much but....

I *HATE* those preload things Windows apps tend to have! Almost every machine, where someone's like "Why does it take so long to load?"/"Why does my disk thrash so much?" I end up turning off like 100MB of preloads. I'd rather wait 5 seconds for something to load then wait a full minute extra for startup while Acrobat, OpenOffice, Java, maybe RealPlayer, etc. etc. preload and then take up a bunch of RAM.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Did someone say Internet Applet Revival

it never went away, I am there man wearing my iconic 1990 it will never fly, they will just use it to connect to IRC and that will be that, look of the era.

How about we spread rumours that JavaScript is actually Java but just in script form, that is always great for a giggle.

Or, and this is the biggee, let's redo all our navs in JavaApplets, and have them spin 360, cowabunga dude.

Well they are opensource so I suppose worth a fleeting glance, but comeon the browser with JavaScript can do what we need, if you need remote application calls then just roll them in C, it works well. And do believe the cloud hype, people will generally want to run their own applications - the only people really interested in run remote applications are devs, and they tend to do it on their own servers or through ssh.

I say Java, just sucks it up, goes back to grassroots and makes the most rocking and rollin media center known to man - that was what it was designed for and that is what it should be doing. Ohhh if they could do that in an applet!

4. Avalanche
    Boffin

No preload, but 'cache-warming'

Actually, Java 6 Update 10 does not actually preload the libraries, it uses 'cache-warming', by regularly requesting parts of the library files, so Windows keeps them in the filecache (and if memory is low, Windows releases the cache).

5. BillPhollins
    Thumb Up

Nice

These are updates that have been needed for some time. Nice that they are paying attention to the desktop and applet stuff now, rather than focusing on mobile and enterprise stuff (which is understandable).

6. DZ-Jay

Re: No preload, but 'cache-warming'

>> "it uses 'cache-warming', by regularly requesting parts of the library files, so Windows keeps them in the filecache"

So, if the framework is being proactive by "regularly requesting parts of the library files" and having them stored in cache, pressumably before they are needed, wouldn't this be "pre-loading"? I don't imagine pre-loading being weighted by any connotations of storing the files permanently, does it?

I know it doesn't sound as cute and buzzworthy as "cache-warming". But then again, it's Java, so the act requires a new catchy name, of course.

-dZ.

7. Gary Kind

But what about the write once run anywhere?

Fact of the matter is applets *should* ease deployment of business applications, the reality is they don't! Sage 1000 uses a large java applet to provide its main UI functionality. Think you can just hook up 50 users running IE and its all going to work? Nope no way, security issues, sitting doing nothing but restarting works, version issues, what a nightmare!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like