back to article Microsoft's .NET goes Web 2.0 with Sadville

Sadville is rolling out the open-source implementation of Microsoft's .NET on its virtual infrastructure in a step towards enabling software development. Linden Labs is installing the Mono Project's virtual machine on its heavily trafficked Second Life servers - Sadville runs more than 2,500 clustered servers. The move means …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Adam Williamson
    Jobs Horns

I was going to suggest...

I was going to suggest this as a story when I saw Miguel's blog entry yesterday, but I figured you'd pick it up anyway.

I think my headline would've been better, though: "Sadville meets Cloud Cuckoo Land"...

2. Chris Willhoite
    Paris Hilton

Who wants mono?

The name might also have something to do with it, I mean who would go out of their way to get mono(mononucleosis)?

Paris because. . . well that should be obvious.

3. adnim

Automated life

I don't know much about virtual living, being too entrenched in a real life to have the time or indeed inclination to even find out. But does this mean that in addition to creating a virtual life to avoid reality, a virtual life in which to pretend to be that which one isn't, the actual virtual existence created can be automated via script so that one doesn't even have to pretend to live it?

Wow, this really is escapism.

4. Anonymous Custard
    Paris Hilton

"Microsoft has promised to protect Novell customers who used Mono from legal action by Microsoft "

So has Microsoft now become so big and all-encompassing that it must protect associates customers from itself?

I wonder if they can also extend this to protect us from Vista?

Paris - 'cos she needs protection from herself sometimes.

5. Robert Ramsay

The Reg's attitude to Second Life...

...just reminds me of Quentin Crisp's old adage that the worst of the gay-bashers were usually latent homosexuals themselves...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why?

I'm a big OS fan, but this is typical of what happens in the OS world. It goes like this...

1/ Slag off Microsoft and complain about how crap they are at sticking to existing standards and how they keep making up their own "standards" which (almost always) only work on MS operating systems (I use the term loosely)

2/ Write a clone of the MS product

Don't bother coming up with any original ideas; no - just copy what some commercial outfit has come up. This is no better than MS's "innovation" that they keep banging on about. In fact it's worse! At least MS DO come up with new stuff occasionally even if it is bloated , slow rubbish.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

eh?

>At least MS DO come up with new stuff occasionally

As far as I can tell, all the MS stuff I've seen is copies of other peoples ideas.

DOS, Windows GUI, Office apps, servers and services, application frameworks - all done before by someone else. Not necessarily better, but definitely before. MS is good at selling their version, and superb at hitting the right market at the right time, but I struggle to think of any major innovation they can claim.

Paris, because I'd rather spend time with her than in Sadville

8. David Kelly

@AC

"Don't bother coming up with any original ideas; no - just copy what some commercial outfit has come up. This is no better than MS's "innovation" that they keep banging on about. In fact it's worse!"

Gotta disagree strongly on that point. I'd much rather run Samba on a Linux box than a Windoze server for my file / printer shares. Likewise there are apps that run faster under Wine than native Windows. Then, too, there are chat clients that speak the MSN protocols that are far better than Windoze Messenger.

9. Robert Synnott

Copycats...

Well, .NET itself is, erm, a little derivative, no?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

"Slag off Microsoft and complain about"

No comment really, just the pic. It's YOU isn't it!

11. Pierre
    Coat

@AC about MS innovation

"As far as I can tell, all the MS stuff I've seen is copies of other peoples ideas."

Well, not quite true. Sometimes, it's things that they lawfully bought from the owner. They used to do that when they didn't have the leverage they now have on the US gov. For example, they did buy the Quick and Dirty Operating System (QDOS) that they based their early success on. Only to remove the "quick" part. They did tremendously strenghten the "dirty" part though. A kind of compensation, shurely.

On the other hand, Vista file system organization and (dare I say) UAC is clearly an attempt at getting where everyone else has been for decades. Though they changed the name of the classical "home" directory into "users".

Don't push, I was leaving anyway

12. Simpson

I am a derivative work

of my Mom and Dad...

But I am different from both, and I may decide to do things my own way.

Knowledge is a cumlative work.

Invention is simply knowledge + "I can do it better"

or

knowledge + "everyone else is wrong"

or

copy existing work + better marketing

Everything is built on something that already exists.

neither Linux|Windows were incepted to a woman in a cave, by an angel. Both are copies+improvements/changes of what came before.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like