back to article HP offers gov half-price printers

HP and OGCbuying.solutions, the government's procurement body, have done a deal for half-price printers. The list of approved printers are low energy and Defra certified - 'Quick Wins' - meeting minimum environmental standards. The deal is available through HP resellers including Centerprise, Computacenter, DSGi and Fujitsu …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

That much!

Half price printers, we get scammed again!

Manufacturers will GIVE away printers if they think you are going to buy the toners & inks off them.

Unless of course they have done a deal with Cartridge world as well....

2. Jolyon Ralph
    Stop

Bet the ink/toner cartridges are full price though.

Because that's obviously where the profit is. Seriously, are half-price printer offers really news?

3. Marco van de Voort
    Jobs Halo

On related news: Toner cartridges for the government doubled in price

Since that is the HP's (and printer mfg's in general) businessmodel.

4. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

But....

.... does the half-pricing extend to the cartridges and servicing, the bit where HP make the money?

5. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

mmm

Hey, Jolyon, if a commenter comments as to the newsworthiness of a news that isn't really news according to the commenter, does it make a tree fall in the woods?

Gotta scoot, this one hand won't clap itself.

6. Colin Millar
    Thumb Up

@ mmm

Or to put it another way

If a man makes a comment and there isn't a woman around to read it - is he still wrong?

7. Jolyon Ralph
    Happy

@Sarah

Well, at least this is IT related. How are the ice caps doing today by the way?

Jolyon

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

never mind the printers...

...feel the software. This government really do have the knack of picking complete shite for their IT infrastructure. I bought an HP printer last year. Nice printer, unusable software and incompetent support personnel. I ended up installing some open source stuff to actually drive the printer...

9. Tim

Recycling etc

Bearing in mind our govt's self-proclaimed green credentials, can it be confirmed that these printers will both have their cartridges recycled and will run on recycled cartridges?

A few months ago, HP would not have anything to do with recycled cartridges at all, even though at least 1 firm (Danwood) does it.

10. drunk.smile

@Recycling

Oh yes, because thanks to HPs cartridge recycling program (Can't be arsed to dig up a link to their self congratulatory bullshit of a press release). HP cartridges are now shredded and the plastic is made into brand new HP cartridges.

Wow! Totally Green HP. Totally Green. Is the shredder run by a wind turbine?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

a clap in the woods..

Sorry, lost my glasses..

someone got the clap in the woods just before a tree fell with no woman around!

my my

must print off another pair of glasses - need it to cut the little holes out!

it's Monday and we're talking about printers!!!

mines the Green One with the Wind Turbine in the back pocket!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Handy...

...for printing TOP SECRET reports so you can leave them on the train.

Doh!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

One-handed clap

Ah, sweet Sarah. I've been able to do a one-handed clap for years; and yes, I can do it in public without embarassment.

14. glenn

refilled carts

Having spent the last 15 years or so working as printer engineer i can honestly say that ALL refilled cartridges, be they ink or toner, are utter, utter shite. Fit for the kids to waste on pointless print jobs is about all refills are good for. Having seen the mess refills make of other folks machines, i have never and will never put them in my own machines. HP's recycling approach might not be the greenest around, but at least i know that when i buy genuine products they won't piss ink / toner everywhere, run out prematurely and will give a good, long lasting print quality.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like