back to article Sony downgrades PS3 PlayTV functionality

We’re all excited about PlayTV’s launch next month, but would you be upset if we said that the PlayStation 3 telly tuner now won’t allow saved video to be copied to the PlayStation Portable, a PC or a Memory Stick? Well, get the tissues ready, because Sony’s confired to Register Hardware that PlayTV will now only be able to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

Come on Mark...

... let's see you put some positive $on¥ spin on this one.

2. Gary Littlemore
    Paris Hilton

Nail in the coffin

As the saying goes... That will be the final nail in the coffin for me.

I won't be purchasing it.

Paris, cos she's so thick she would buy it.

3. Steve Barnes
    Stop

are you sure???

are you sure this is true? as i've been reading tonnes of articles over the last few days alone where sony have been confirming that it will be able to decode HD signals in the near future, and will be able to copy recordings to MS / PSP / etc and be freely converted. I don't see why it wouldnt be able to seeing as it's not sony's content it's protecting liek music etc, it's no different from recording tv to vhs / dvd like we've been doing for years!!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"It was originally thought.."

I think that is the problem. James Sherwood was assuming lots...

As I understand it, it's only a codec issue that prevents it displaying the yet to be broadcast terrestial HD, and that the tuners are "HD Ready"...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

they haven't got a clue

Sony, Apple, Microsoft, etc, they really haven't realised yet that the world is moving on fast from these proprietary devices that try to restrict what you can do with their devices.

I have stopped long ago buying crippleware (which means most consumer entertainment electronics from major brands), my PC runs Linux, my MP3 player (Nex IIe) uses plain CF cards on which I can freely copy any songs I feel like without the need of DRM or proprietary software and for movies I use a Popcorn Hour (network streamer) which plays almost every existent video file format including DVD backups.

and for TV? Who needs a TV when you have the Internet (of course with a small independent ISP)!

6. Chris P

HD? Who cares?

Who gives a flying f*** about HD? HD's a sideline that the PSP can't exactly benefit from.

The point is surely that PlayTV is now unable to provide offline viewing of the programmes that you can record! That would've been the killer app to give me a reason to shell out several hundred pounds on a PS3, so that I can watch recorded TV programs on my PSP, without turning the PS3 on. Hey ho - I'll just spend 500 quid on my car instead.

7. Will

Big deal

Big deal. So Sony has removed some functions from the formal release. To satisy laws in countries it sells units in.

A patch here, and a reset there and bam.

Fixed.

8. Mark
    Gates Horns

Waaaaaaah

Why do thou hate me Sony?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re: AC's "They haven't got a clue"

You realise you sound like some sort of digital hippy, who thinks that he's all enlightened because he's sticking it to the man?

"the world is moving on fast from these proprietary devices that try to restrict what you can do with their devices."

Meanwhile, people in the real world are still buying iPods etc. like crazy, and doing just fine.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like