back to article Motorola splits business into three parts

Motorola is dividing up its home and networks division as a possible precursor to selling off parts of the business. The company will post its quarterly results on Thursday and update markets on plans to improve profitability. This could include selling the handset division, which has struggled in recent quarters. The home …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andy Watt
    Black Helicopters

It's Siemens all over again...

Sit back and watch the handset division either sink, or swim. On the basis of their recent offerings I'd be starting the Lifesaving Device Help Fund.

On the plus side, there's always finders fees... the vultures are circling!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

"Hello Moto"

Bye Bye Moto

3. Wile E. Veteran
    Unhappy

What about the non-cell stuff

like the 2-way radios et. al.

4. b

goodbye moto!

precursor to the dark clouds that everyone will be being shaat on from above in the very near future, more like!

at least they are on top of it and not waiting for it to be staring them in the face.

i'd say good news for motorola stock.

cheers,

bill

stuff and nonsense:

http:www.eupeople.net/forum

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not quite what it seems

Motorola is already divided into business units, and this is all this article is talking about.

The big split will be the split between the Mobile Devices business and the rest of Motorola (which will be divided into the three units as described in this article). This is planned for January next year and will result in two distinct businesses (with separate shares etc) - a bit like what they did with the CPU manufacturing arm a few years back, which is now called Freescale.

As Andy says above, it will be interesting to see if Mobile Devices survives, or gets bought.

6. ian
    Thumb Up

Motorolia est omnis divisa in partes tres

It had to be said. Ave Caesar!

7. Frumious Bandersnatch
    Pirate

@ian

I like the cut of your jib!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

More Like an Abortion!

Bye-Bye Moto.......

9. Charles

All Gaul is divided into three parts.

nt

10. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

My stock!

I hope the stock goes up and not tank. I caughed enough dough in payroll shares. It's gone up and down like a yoyo. Meanwhile still no results in the settlement to the lawsuit from a year or so ago....

11. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Motorola is only good at one thing..still!

Motorola started off doing 2 way radios, got a very good reputation, a reputation they still have since the 50's in this sector. However every time they try to move outside of it due to the closed HR inspired skull fuck of a process they have, they fuck it up spectacularly, think guy fawkes on steroids with the worlds nuclear arsenal at this disposal as he takes speed by the bucket load! Thats what Motorola do.

They fucked up their paging business, brought in two way paging, then decided not to go ahead with it as a cheap alternative to mobile sms. Then their was irridium, fantastic product, clear market segment, good product, good technology and then the board of motorola got their hands on it..and its smashing into the ocean.

What else, oh six sigma, from when motorola had a bad patch in the 70s with radio quality and customers giving them the fingers up over it. they designed it, made it work in house, let their people take it outside, and then completely fucked it up in house so much that if you go into motorola to talk 6 sigma now, no one has a clue, its like Christianity and the Mormons, the Mormons are almost like Christians only they believe wholeheartedly that God left another book of the bible for some moron to sit on and generate a worldwide revenue to keep him and his higher echelon rich forever.

Motorola Silicon technology..gone! so much for digital DNA.

In short only shares even worth thinking about are in the radio section, whichever "business" unit that ends up being in.

Lets hope someone on the board is using their brain and not sitting on it this time.

as we used to say in motorola

"motorola, the best reason in the world to drink beer"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like