back to article Vodafone shares tumble on interims

Vodafone, the world's largest cellco, grew revenues to £9.1bn, up by nearly 20 per cent, or 1.7 per cent organic growth, in the three months ended 30 June 2008. The company now has 269m mobile customers, an increase of 8.5m on last quarter. Data revenues grew 29.4 per cent to £664m. But Vodafone expects revenue for the year …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    Thumb Up

I reckon...

They'd do even better if they stocked a larger range of handsets.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Exchange rate

is pretty important here as VF accounts in pounds: US revenues have been hit by dollar depreciation but European revenues (apart from Spain) are artificially buoyed by the pound's depreciation against the Euro although declined in real terms. Data traffic is up but there is no mention as to whether data revenues are up.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nah

Simply increasing the range of handset will not work, besides the fact that many operators have exclusivity deals with handset manufacturers it would cost the company dearly if it wanted to have all handsets available to customers, ot to mention the costs for storage of all the handsets that they would need in their warehouses.

The problem I see is that the bigger the company the harder they will fall during this credit crunch we have going on at the moment, oil prices effect pretty much every sector in the market and so Vodafone will have a bigger distance to fall then the other competitors (also the debts it wrote off from before wont help either)

4. Dean Burrows
    Coat

eh?

Well of course revenues are up with half a million pound phone bills...

I can work that one out and I aint no fancy-pants economist...

Mines the one with too many pockets....where's me damn phone?

5. Stephen Gray

@ Nah By Anonymous Coward

The whole point about writing off debt is just that, its written off the accounts as a loss, so quite how will that affect them in the future? The write off is already discounted into the share price.

6. Frank Bough

Sounds to me...

...like voda are doing OK. Personally, I wouldn't anticipate that communications will be particularly hard hit by a recession. I switched to voda myself this year and I've been impressed by the quality of the service so far after years with Orange, but what do I know, I'm only a customer.

7. pctechxp

10 billion aint bad

for a few months work.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like