back to article Microsoft, Facebook, Google box clever on really big systems

Facebook's decision to release under open source a large-scale data management project similar to - and inspired by - Google's BigTable has received backing from an unusual quarter: Microsoft. Data center futures architect and distinguished database developer James Hamilton, has complemented the pimply faced social network for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James O'Brien
    Stop

Three words. . .

Who Really Cares

God I hate how much exposure these "social" sites get.

2. matt

RE: Three words

I think you missed the point

This is about big companies (Google and Facebook) releasing their works as open source. Facebook is contrasted to Google because google are heavily criticised for not releasing many of their changes to open source projects

3. David
    Gates Horns

What is Faceboook

Hammerbacher is now reported to have become the latest Faceboook employee to have served his notice. Can we expect this Facebook youf to show up in well-remunerated style at Redmond this Fall?

"Faceboook"

"youf"

?

:)

4. Rob Cooper
    Thumb Up

Great Stuff

More open source, the better. And it's definately a good thing to see more obviously money-centric peeps doing it (read Facebook and MS). I think we are at very interesting times in the software world.. There seems to be a lot of changes going on inside all the software big daddies, changes in attitudes, everything..

Love the fact that they uploaded to Google Code.. Although it's probably not an insult.. Google Code is good. We should see the big guys working together more like this.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Learn to spell

Not all spelling errors can be caught by the spell-checker. And Scamps, get on MSN, I need to talk to you about Stu [-]

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like